Should there be armed security guards and teachers at every school?

• Not an odd idea, it has merely been politicized

We protect our most valuable asset. There are security guards at banks to protect the money. If you want to walk into a courthouse there will likely be a metal detector and police throughout the building. I believe that I will go uncontested when I say that children are our most important asset, but I figure I will say it anyways. So why not place protection in front of a building with hundreds of our beloved children? There will always be people who want to hurt others, so why leave the most vulnerable among us without any protection when they are densely congregated.

If the argument is that it will place a stigma on the children and make them feel differently about school then let me address that two ways. First, there is security everywhere outside of school (stores, government buildings, police)--even the home can have a security system to protect from wrongdoers, so children are used to this. Second, it is only stigmatizing if you picture the security guard acting in a stoic and unapproachable way. Many security guards are very friendly, and if they act friendly with the children then I think there would be a bigger psychological effect from a mean teacher than a security guard.

Second, if budget is the issue then our priorities are misaligned to a disgusting level. We have the money to protect a few judges at a courthouse, but not hundreds of children. Seems off to me.

I think the idea has been politicized because those who oppose guns don't want the topic or solution to stray away from gun control. When a different solution is suggested, their support for anti-gun legislation is diluted (I am really not trying to get into that argument, but when you think about it in a non-partisan way, it makes sense.) As a result, many have pushed it off the table of options.

• To an extent.

Not teachers, because some would possibly be extremely irresponsible with weapons in a classroom, which would cause problems hiring teachers. But armed security should be at every school. Shootings in which a very large number of people are killed or injured, usually occur in unarmed places, like schools. There may still be a death count, but if there is armed security the problem would be resolved quickly and hopefully efficiently. The culprit doesn't even have to be shot and killed, instead can be overtaken. It doesn't have to be airport tight, and armed security may even be a quite unnerving to students or staff, but mentally that is a small price to pay for overall security of children and staff.

• Yes: It Would Reduce Incidents and Casualties

First off, it would make people think twice before taking action against schools in violent ways.

Secondly, if someone did decide to be violent in a school, esp. With a gun, another gun could stop that much quicker than a 911 call.

The teachers and/or security guards would need to be adequately trained just like the police are.

• Better to have security than none.

Would you let your child go to school with a broken fire alarm? Why not nip it in the bud right now, before it happens again. No, there is no guarantee that this will stop the shootings but I feel that if there are more guards the gunmen would think twice before doing their dirty deed. Or if they are dumb they will still do it and suffer the consequences.

• It stops events like columbine and sandy hook from happening

A security guard would have to be highly trained but it wouldn't take away from police work outside of schools because this guard would be just for schools. They also would protect the school way better. It would take 3-5 minutes before police could show up but a security guard would always be there. This year a rule changed at a MIDDLE school near me. They are saying hide until an intruder gets inside your room when in attack him. I believe that that is a bad idea because 30 kids vs. A man with a gun. To keep it safe I believe we need a professional protecting the school rather than a bunch of students trying to fight. In general I believe having a security guard in the school would make the school a much safer place.

• A trained, armed officer, can respond quicker than an entire police force.

The concept of armed personnel in our schools is difficult however, I believe the question ought to be asked, (what can we do to prevent this, and if not prevent, deter or minimize the potential loss of life.) I agree that there is no way to stop an ill or deranged member from bringing a gun onto a campus. However, I do believe that things can be done to deter, or stop an active or potential threat.

History has shown that at each mass shooting resulted in 911 call centers being quickly overwhelmed in an unpresidented amount of 911 callers, each to report a shooter on campus. The information provided to the officers is vague at best and the majority of responding officers do not know the campus layout. Upon arrival they arrive to what could be considered as chaos; students running off campus preventing access, traffic stopped as people look and wonder whats happening, again preventing access, and the information they have is, (an active shooter on campus.)

An armed, trained, and experienced officer that knows the campus, the students and the faculty can reasonably respond quicker and more efficiently as he or she knows the campus, knows the professors, potential danger areas, and can quickly advise professors and students weather to remain in their classrooms or evacuate. Most importantly, the moment a gunshot(s) are fired, there is an immediate force, equipped, and responding to the situation. Thus making any response to any potential threat immediate, as apposed to anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes later, depending on a vast number of unknown variables.

7 years USMC, 4 years as an armed security officer throughout Los Angeles. AA Criminal Justice, BA, Business Administration, NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, CCW holder.

• How is this even a question?

We use armed personnel to protect banks, judges, everything society deems important. Who do you call when things go wrong or you need help? The police, people who are armed. Average school shootings last less than police response time. My high-school had a armed Sheriff's deputy there during school hours. Not a single incident other than some kids calling each other names.

• Response times aren't quick enough.

Although the police try their hardest to get on site as quick as possible, sometimes its just not enough. However, with an on site armed security guard or teacher with a CCW and training could minimize if not stop a shooting. Also with known armed guards on site, a shooting is least likely to happen.

• Protect our most valuable assets, our future.

Today's security forces are much more professional and effective than they were even 10 years ago,.. Many men and women are coming home from the war that is now over, these people have many years of training and experience dealing with hostile situations. Furthermore today's armed security personnel have a lot of training and certifications overseen by each state governments. I am an armed security officer,.. And I would be proud to protect our children,.. And if necessary lay down my life to do so.

• Without A Doubt

A lot of things can happen in schools where everyone both in the building and on school grounds can be put on serious danger (especially when weapons are brought in by students). If school security guards are armed, they will be able to protect themselves. I'm looking to be a school security guard and I'd feel much safer in this type of situation if I was armed.

• No, school should feel safe as well as BE safe.

This is a tough question. In my opinion, if children come to school and there is armed security guards and armed teachers, they will feel like they are in a prison, not a school. School is supposed to be a safe place, like home. I understand the possible need for beefed up security, but we need to think about the children as well.

• No, it's not even possible.

It's not possible to have armed security guards at every school, nor is it preferable or does it make very much sense. Even if it were possible, it is not financially feasible. And children have a right to attend school without school being a "police state". Also, even if there were armed guards, if someone decides to do harm, armed guards will not stop that from happening.

• Not as safe as they used to be.

After 9/11 happened, no one tried to ban airplanes that help more than x gallons of fuel, they just beefed up the airport security system and no one has ever successfully committed an attack on the 9/11 scale since. Why does it take so long for liberals to figure out the same thing will work for schools. Maybe not arm teachers if they don't have the training, but a few security guards at each school would end these massacres when the shooter realizes that he can't just kill people with no resistance.

• No, there should not be armed security guards and teachers at every school.

Teachers are not capable of the responsibility of carrying a firearm at school. There are to many crazy teachers out there. Most teachers decided to enter teaching so that they only have to work nine months out of the year. Giving these lazy people a gun and telling them to stand guard is a bad idea.

• It's too much

I understand the question but it might just be too much. If your saying that we have more of them at schools that need them, maybe that would work. Schools are layoff teachers and do not have money to fund anything. We would be trading teachers for security guards. Argh.

• Not unless they are badged!

Security personnel who are NOT badged law enforcement officials should not be adding flying bullets to the already dangerous environment. If we are talking about an officer employed by police or sheriff, then OK, but not an employee of the school or district. Too much extra risk. And absolutely not until all available prevention and non-lethal alternatives are in place.

• May Be Killed

If a security guard were to be armed with a gun, and had an argument with a student, teacher, or anyone the building, is it not possible he would shoot them. Security guards are not as trained as police officers to stay calm in difficult situations. So it is not exactly safe to have armed security guards in schools.

• Guards maybe but teachers no.

Having teachers with guns in the school could be a potential danger. Some teachers could be irresponsible with the guns or students could find a way to take one and play with it and someone could end up getting hurt. Having guards in the school would be good if you look at it from the safety perspective but it could make the students feel uncomfortable or intimidated.

• Guards with Guns?

What is the point of security guards having guns? Having a gun in school is more of a hazard, many security guards in schools try to be buddy buddy with students. Who says some guards will not allow a student to hold a gun just for the hell of it? Who says a student won't piss off a guard and the guard shoots off his gun like the situation in Georgia? That may not be the same situation, but I would not feel safe if the security guards at my school had guns, it would make me feel more unsafe than I already feel. Guns do not belong in the education system. Leave it to the police to carry fire arms.