Should video games be regulated by the government?

• Yes

The reality of video games is that mostly children play them. These days a sad reality is that you cannot rely on a parent to do what's right for their child. So video games should be regulated so as not to allow extremely violent games to be given to young, impressionable children. These images can be engraned in a childs mind and desensitize them to commit similar acts themselves.

• Regulate for Safety

There should be some type of regulation concerning the promotion of seizures and video games. There would be no harm in some government regulations that pertain to the issue of seizures caused by photo-sensitivity. It wouldn't affect the content of the game to make sure the flash rate is at a level that does not promote seizures. Why should they let the health of some rule the making of all video games? Because people who have never had a seizure in their life find they are having them due to the flashing rates of the video games. Most of the time victims don't even know they have had a seizure.

• Government knows what is better for their own country!

Many people argue that parents are the one who knows their child. However, In my opinion, It is not the right thing to do. Family;is just the small group. And when we comes to a bigger group called country, There will need some help, From the country's leader. What are presidents for? They are for helping what the country's people want to do. They are the ones who could change one country's style.

• Video Games are not just PC or console anymore. Its no longer about violent content, but addiction and gambling compulsion engineering.

This is an old debate going back a few years. I am posting in the year 2018, but see comments going back to 2013 when the argument was society blaming violence on violent video game content.
    We have moved passed that and entered into the mobile gaming revolution that is growing past the console gaming industry in revenue.
    In the past the "console game" industry funded and ran the ratings system we now see on game boxes. The new landscape is not driven by console manufacturers but by studios, large and small making games that are distributed on platforms like the app and play store.
    The largest of these companies are not supporting the console rating system, and hire legal teams to compel the apple and google distribution services to play by their rules. In an environment void of regulations, the lawyers win, and the games win. This is somewhat like the wild west of video games these days.
    Application developers hire psychologist and like skilled professionals to review games during development, not to check if its a healthy game, but does it compel the player to keep playing, and spend money. This is fact.
    Many are stuck in an old debate that games promote violence in children and that putting a rating on a game is the solution.
    The problems have progressed to addiction and unhealthy compulsions.
    Adults unaware of the massive attention to addiction methods in mobile games are finding themselves in financial problems, while young adults playing console and pc games are finding themselves stuck in a loop not able to socialize and feel part of society.
    The issue is addiction and no accountability on game designers and a lack of public awareness just how much attention is put into making games addicting.
    The industry is too decentralized for self regulation and needs some oversight from government agencies to keep developers honest, and players informed.

• Absence of responsibility

In a culture where parents are not always as protective as they should be, violent video games become an addiction and an aggressor. Prolonged exposure to these violent images desensitizes gamers to the ugliness of violence. We wouldn't allow our children to eat poison, so why do we as a people allow our still developing children to see hurting someone as 'fun'. We need the government to stop this horrible epidemic. Seeing the blatant comments about people wanting to play their games at all costs sound a lot like an alcoholic or a drug addict. We as a people have became fiercely self serving with little regard to to the greater good. Lord help us and our generations to come.

• Do violent video games linked to behavior problems?

One of my son's uncle gave my six year old son a video game called "Grand Theft Auto" to play, and I came home from work and he said "dad I shot a person with my gun, and there are sex scenes in the game. I told him you are too young to play this game and to never play it again. Kids they should be protected from all the adult content media, and we as parents if we do our job well, there is no need for the government to stick their nose into our homes.

• My beef is simply the addictive nature of gaming and extended, variable end times.

Computer games that have highly variable end times play havoc with family structure and teach kids that they can put off what tasks they should be doing. If a kid gets caught up in a game that has an extended period then there in no enforceable, finite timeline.

If the computer game industry can self-regulate on this issue I would be happy to withdrawal my yes vote here.

I trust my teenage son and my own abilities to create a balanced structure to encourage him to be aware of the violence issue, but there needs to be a 30 - 45 minute hard deadline. Gamers can regulate their intensity accordingly. My son already has to run to the bathroom because he holds his bladder so long, and he now has a medical diagnosis of enlarged bladder.

I don't want him to be one of those teens who buys adult pull-up disposable diapers so he can stay on games even longer.

• I am a GameStop Employee and a gamer.

Crimes committed have nothing to do with the games. However, filling their head with certain aspects of GTA (grand theft auto) games and such is not morally right. I been playing games since I was about 5. I tell you that around that age, I got upset when I saw my brother "killing people" on the TV, and then as I got older, I became desensitized. And I don't care that we regulate the M mature rating because parents still unknowingly but games like GTA 5 from us at GameStop and complain later about the sex scenes. For those that buy it for their under-aged kids, you are committing a felony, literally. I don't suggest a rating of T or M for kids, they should be outside playing, swimming, or doing homework. I am very young but I have seen the difference, life isn't purely about entertainment, for those who believe so, just as I used to cling to this idea, you will be very disappointed in the end.

• The Government can't regulated or restricted video game due to violence

Of course it bad for little kids to play violent video game but it not their fault it the parents. In this world their are parents who don't care what their child is playing and their are some that do care. Video game is like social media where you take to people around the global and they can be someone or be a part of something. Plus in this era it all about technology and video game is part of that era.

• Why would they need regulating

Whyvregulate video games they aren't harmful things the only time a child would copy whatbthey see on a video game would be if, 1. They have bad parents or 2. They have a mental dissorder that makes them confuse reality and virtuality but if they have a mental dissorer like that then the parents should be watching them or if they have bad parents then its the government at fault for allowing anyone to have kids (and paying them for it (in some countries anyway (england (where i live) being one of them)) as far as i see it, Its down to the parents to raise their childeren properly and down to the government to make sure parents are doing their jobs as parents then once the child gets to 18 its up to them

• Hell No!!!! They Should Not.

If The Government Regulates Video Games That Would The Same Thing As Them Regulating Were You Live, Work, Or Go To School. Plus Video Games Do Not Behavioral Changes In People, & They Do Not Make People Violent. People Are Violent On Their Own & Nobody In The Correct Mind Can Blame A Video Game Or Any Other Inanimate Object For Someone Committing A Crime Or Harming An Individual.

• My Own Experience

I have been playing video games since I was 4 or 5 years old. Around when I was 6 or 7, my father allowed me to try out Call of Duty. I have been playing games similar to this since and I have seen no negative results. I am in high school with a 4.0 GPA and I am one of the least violent kids I know. Just because I was exposed to violence doesn't mean I am going to grow up and become corrupted. The truth is, these games exposed me to the real world and they have allowed me to become a mature young adult.

• My Own Experience

• My Own Experience

• Where's your proof?

I see comments on here like, "My sons uncle bought my son GTA5... Blah Blah Blah."

1. Thats your son's uncle's fault, Not your son's fault.

2. How do you know shooting someone is going to affect them in the future. There is no proof that violent video games cause violence. Take the Columbine shooing for example. Yes, the people that killed the kids at the school did play Violent video games! But they also had mental disabilities.

3. Violent video games don't do shit to kids, your bad parenting does.

Thank you, and goodbye.

• Where is your proof?

Thank you, and goodbye.

• Where is you proof?

Thank you, and goodbye.

• Of course not.

Do the government care and love kids and children more than your own parents? No, and the government do not know the children's personality. Parents know a lot about kids and their personality. Why shouldn't parents make rules about violent video games? The government shouldn't make rules about video games.

Anonymous says2013-04-18T05:07:49.673
>