Should violent dogs be euthanized if they bite a human being?

• Dangerous to Children

We have had two people mauled by dogs this week in our community. One girl is in fair condition, And another child required extensive stitches. I agree that owners are responsible for their pets, And I would strongly recommend criminal penalties for owners. However, Other than extreme cases where a dog was physically harmed by the victim, These dogs that inflict serious injuries need to be put down. If well-treated by owners, Most dogs are domesticated animals who no longer have a strong predatory instinct. Most tolerate children well, And if they bite, It would not be more than a nip. When dogs maul a victim, Something has gone horribly wrong, And the animal poses a risk. Although I appreciate that people believe their pets are a member of the family, I do value human life. I think that it is ironic that we have such sympathy for dogs, But we forget the short, Often torturous lives endured by many farm animals. I am not suggesting that we kill dogs for a simple, Quick bite, Although such animals require more training and monitoring. However, We should euthanize dogs that have engaged in an attack. People on this forum commented that people in prison for assault are not executed, And I guess another way of handling this would be dog prisons--but I am not sure about the ability to create a new form of government and additional taxes for long-term incarceration of dangerous pets.

• If they do it once they'll do it again.

My pit bull seemingly snapped without being provoked and bit me in the face. No previous owner, no abuse, no illness, no instigating whatsoever. Just snapped. She has had proper training and everything. I want to have her euthanized, no questions about it. When a dog becomes violent there is no justification to keeping that animal around you or adopting it out to their next victim because they WILL do it again. Point blank. It wouldn't be a question to kill a bear if being attacked, or any other predatory animal for that matter. Should be no different with dogs that show violent behavior to people. People who say don't euthanize violent animals have never been attacked by one.

• Yes, so long as the victim was not provoking the dog or trespassing

Dogs are not humans, nor are they capable of higher thought processes associated with intelligent species, and their lives are therefore not worth as much as a humans. If dogs prove violent, they should be euthanized, given that they were not provoked, in the case that they were fighting back against, say, a group of teenagers torturing them, or bit someone who trespassed on their property, as many dogs are trained to do by their owners.

• No Love For Biting Dogs

I do believe violent dogs should be euthanized if they bite a human being unprovoked. Of course, in order to uphold this, there should be evidence that the bite occurred without any provocation from the human. While I have a pit bull and she is a part of the family, if she ever bit any of us, she would be out the door.

• Yes, violent dogs need to be euthanized if they bite a human.

Yes, I agree that any violent dog that bites a human being should be euthanized. The key word here is "violent". If a dog has been shown to have a history of violence, or the attack on the human was particularly violent, then euthanasia must follow. If there is any chance that the dog was deliberately antagonized by the person that was bitten, then euthanasia must not be an option.

• Yes, but it's an "it depends" kind of situation

Violent dogs should be euthanized, but only if other factors are present: the biting was particularly vicious, resulting in a life-changing injury and maybe even the death of the victim; the dog tends to have a history of increasing aggressiveness in general, with no signs of slowing down; the dog has not responded to training in the past to curb its behavior; the dog tends to come from a breed that is known for aggressiveness.

• A serious threat

Yes, I do think that violent dogs should be killed if they bite a human, because if they do it once, then they will do it again. I have been around a lot of dogs, and most will not go attack a human, but those that do will do it again.

• No, but they need special ownership.

For every dog that bites, you can trace it back to a human at fault. Sometimes specifically taught to do so, but too often the result of abuse. And quite often, the person bitten provoked it themselves, and the dog defending itself. Unlike humans, dogs can go to therapy and reason all of this out. They simply react. It's not fair to punish them what what was caused by humans, and for they don't even understand that they did wrong. But once a dog does bite, it does from then on need to be with someone who has the patience and knowledge to work with the dog. No children, or other pets.

• Do humans get put down on a first offense?

So we train and breed them to basically serve us their whole life. Then when they bite someone the first time we as a society want to kill them. I am not saying we should let them run around hurting people. But better training by the owners or less mistreatment might help with the biting in the first place.

• Why? What if they are yours

What if they are your dogs guys!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! This is bad because if they were your dogs, you'd say to keep him alive, but other dogs......If they do something, you people think they are a devil in a dogs body. These dogs have a family, a home, food for god sakes and we have the right to kill them for one little incident????

• No, dogs shouldn't be killed for biting.

We have to keep in mind that dogs are hard wired to bite and hunt a lot of times. If a dog is constantly violent and has bitten someone badly for no reason, then put them down. But, in the majority of cases, the dog deserve to live after a mistake. Should someone be killed for throwing a punch?

• Burden to understand animal behavior is on humans

We chose to have them as pets then treat them without proper training. These are living creatures that are emotive and reactionary. Dogs don't just attack for no reason. It's the human's responsibility. Why should the animal die because we are too lazy, Ill informed or just plain cruel. I've learned over years of having my dog how wrong I used to be for yelling at him or pulling him when with some empathy and humility I have learned to listen to him.

I am amazed at how much they communicated. We need to learn. It is not OK to take a life when they were most likely provoked to defend themselves. Take the dog to a specialized shelter and let them find someone who can love them and care for them the right way. The animal doesn't know it did something wrong.

It's just cruel.

• They should not

Dogs are a product of how they've been raised. If you raise a dog to be violent then that is 100% the owners fault. These animals are being raised incorrectly and then receive the blame for how they were raised. I believe in better education on how to raise a dog and how to act around them

• No no no

Dogs wouldnt bite you if you wouldnt have done anything to them.Though there are some dogs who bites people for no reason ...... . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .

• No death penalty for humans, then why dogs?

Why are humans given such light sentences for assualt, but a first time offense for a dog is a death sentence?? Does not make sense when humans don't get the death sentence no matter what they do these days, am I not right?? Besides they're just animals and sometimes it's the victim who provoked the dog..!?

• No they shouldn't

Human lives sometimes worth way less than an animal life. Also, dog's cant think of what they're doing and it's ridiculously unfair to put them down, they should go with special owners/trainers. What about humans; do reapers, thieves or killers being put down? No! And they know what they're exactly doing, so why should dogs been putten down when they DON't know? It's practically the owner's fault, or they don't leash them or not hold them. Also the cases where dogs kill the child, DO NOT put the dog down , it's your fault , dogs are jealous although some seem to be perfectly fine with childs others don't , they don't ask for a tiny human companion, so it's their fault and need to be euthanized if they're jealous or kids provoke them ? Sometimes is dog's nature to attack, that why owners should be certified they're capable of control the animal

• Yikes Lets think

Honestly, basically the only argument on why they should be put down is because they could kill someone or strike again, but let's think about what you are doing. We are talking about an animal here. I can mostly say that all of us are against animal abuse, so why would you kill a dog for being its natural hunting breed.

>