Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
  • Yes, Wall Street should be taxed for its mistake.

I definitely think that Wall Street should be taxed for its mistakes. I think that they should be able to take responsibility for a lot of their foolishness and mistakes. It isn't fair that they can be immune being punished for their failures. That is why it is only right.

• Wall Street should be highly taxed for their mistakes

Wall Street should be highly taxed for their mistakes. That is the least we can do as a country to give some of the money back to the rightful owners. Why should millions of American have to pay for the mistakes of a few billionaires. That is not fair at all, and the least we can do is tax them. If it were up to me, I would take them to court and get a lot more than tax money.

• No, I don't think Wall Street should be taxed for it's mistakes.

I believe that Wall Street is punished enough when they make a mistake, most of their investors in a particular wall street bank will pull their money out of any firm that makes mistakes, I believe if any bailout is required then the bailout should be paid back with interest but I don't believe overall wall-street should be taxed for making a mistake.

• No, Wall Street should not be taxed for its mistakes

To start, who will determine what a mistake is and what the tax is for that mistake. The idea of taxing corporate actions that do not align with the federal government interests is a huge mistake because then the government is concerning itself with businesses. As a capitalist country, we solidly believe in a free market system, except for fraud. If Wall Street businesses were taxed for mistakes, it would have to be illegal fraud against consumers (i.e. insider trading, malicious loans).