• I would feel safer...

Do I believe that every teacher in every school should be given a gun tomorrow? No. I believe that teachers who have shown a strong commitment to teaching and have shown themselves to be mentally sane and have received the proper firearms training should be allowed to carry pistols on them in school. When it comes down to it, someone outside of a school with a gun is going to find their way in, and law enforcement can't be trusted to show up in time to prevent a massacre. I currently attend high school and I know that I would personally feel safer if my teachers were properly trained and carrying guns.

• In Some Cases...

In schools where dangerous situations are likely to occur, I believe that it would be right to arm teachers. If teachers were armed in schools located in "rough" areas where crime is prevalent, they would be able to protect themselves and students from intruders, dramatically lowering chances of tragedy. In addition, armed teachers would be better protected against any dangers students might try to inflict on others - in school shootings would be even less likely to occur, and kids would be safer. However, this would only work if responsible teachers with proper training were armed. Don't give a weapon to every teacher; just to teachers who would not misuse them. If every teacher had access to weapons during school, then other tragedies could occur. This is what schools would have to be careful about; choosing which teachers, if any, should be armed in the schools.

• Effectiveness of response

The average response time of a police call is 28minutes, the average respnse of a handgun is 1750fps. What would you rather have protecting your children? I think a few teachers being armed in a school, after intense background checks, and sanity test would help the safety of our children in the public school system

• I would feel way more protected.

I am an eighth grader and I always feel insecure and unprotected. When the shooting at Sandy Hook happened, my grades dropped a considerable amount because I kept having scenarios pop up in my head and I couldn't concentrate. If my teachers were armed, it would make school feel safer. I mean, looking at the teachers that schools hire today, do you really think that they would intentionally harm a student? I mean, sure, they pick on the students but that doesn't mean that they would want to kill us.

• If they so choose, receive specialized training, then sure.

Why not?

The last line of defense that we can have for our kids is an armed person willing and ready to defend them if the unspeakable happens. I am way more comfortable with the image of a teacher holding a glock, protecting her class than I am with that same teacher cowering in a broom closet, waiting to die a la Sandy Hook.

Perhaps that was a rude image to bring about, but Im serious - I'm sick and tired of people lacking the tools or permission to mount a credible challenge to maniacs.

• Faster response time

First and foremost, not all teachers would need to carry guns, just those who wish to carry a weapon and it doesn't even have to be a gun that shoots bullets, instead a stun gun ( tazzer) would suffice. How long does it take for a police officer to get to the building? Or even swat? Too long, teachers are almost always one of the victims in school shootings.

• I say yes.

I am going to school to be a teacher. I have training to stop threats such as school shooters. I know other teachers who have similar training. I was raised to respect guns as a tool to protect and provide. I personally feel that every child should be raised to respect and understand guns to avoid fear and harmful fantasizing which can potentially lead to harmful acts. I am a father and I carry a gun to protect my family IF some psycho decides to harm family. A fun fact is that while your children are in the watch care of their that teacher is in charge of them and of their safety along with their learning. Whenever I am in a class setting I see my students as my own children because I want them to achieve greatness the same as I would my own children. Therefore, If I am ever in a scenario where a school shooter bursts into my classroom point their gun at my children I would much rather have a gun to stop the threat that to try and fail without one. I don't care if the statistics say the likeliness of a school shooting is one in 6, 000 years, I would want to be able to protect my children IF IT EVER happens. Lastly, I don't think kids should know you have a gun in the first place. This would help avoid being targeted and chances of children getting a hold on the gun. If we are bing honest society seems to be continuously make poorer choices, There may come a day when the statistics say the chances of a school shooting is once a year. What then?

• If your teacher had a gun & killed the shooter that walked in your classroom aiming a gun at you, Would you be mad?

It's better than waiting for 1st responders to come and save the children. Not all schools have enough money to buy security officers for their school so it would be a lot cheaper to find volunteer teachers that want to protect the children. Not many people consider that these children have parents and that they need to be protected. Waiting for 1st responders is not always reliable and beneficial to the school.

• If they want

If a teacher wants to carry a gun that is concealed and they are trained that would be fine. A good guy with a gun will at least try to stop a bad guy with a gun, That's what the police do. Your odds of surviving in a school shooting increase dramatically if teachers have guns

• It's relevent for our current situation

We need to act towards the actions we have been faulted too. It's unfortunate our own children are getting shot up from school which parents make such a provision to pay for. We atleast need a guarantee of our scholars safety. We need to make provison and parameters that will assure their safety. Yes to armed teachers.

• Teachers don't want this either.

It is not a teacher's job to be armed security personnel. It is also a massive EXTRA danger in the schools- if every teacher has a weapon in the classroom, a student is far more likely to be able to get a hold of said weapon. What you'll get is an INCREASE in school shootings.

Teachers do not WANT to be armed- they want to do their job, which is to educate. For the record, they don't appreciate that parents expect them to raise and babysit their kids either.

Never mind the fact that school shootings are so rare that it averages to one per school every 6000 years.

• Dont fight fire with fire

If one makes weapons a common sight the students may get used to it, making them want to carry weapons themselves. The Americans should not get more people armed with guns, seen as the US had almost 13.000 people killed by handguns in 2011, witch is 80% of the murders in 201. Teachers that are carrying guns could signal that the school is a dangerous place for children. Although there have been some examples of shooting episodes, we must not forget that the US is a country almost as big as Europe

• Not a good idea

Children can be easily influenced and have on many occasions shown violence on a terrible scale, however we can't pretend that teachers are not also prone to this. I have heard of old teachers at my school who have made wrong decisions worse than the students. Also, teachers are not prepared to use firearms and having it at the school in the first place is asking for trouble. Anyone can have the potential to go over the deep end and cause chaos, and putting guns IN schools is certainly a bad decision.

• We don't need to

Arming teachers won't solve any of our problems. People are scared that someone is going to come into their school and shoot them, so what seems like a rational solution? Put more guns in the school. With an avid surplus of weapons in the school if this is legalized it will be easier for a criminal to get a weapon and use it without having to bring on to school. It'll just make the situation worse.

• No. No. No.

Of course not, there mat be students that may get curious and try to get the gun.Teachers aren't reliable. 72.4% of teachers would not likely bring a firearm to school, even if they were allowed. 91% of studenrs feel safe.This is why no firearms should be kept by teachers. No.

• Teachers are not Soldiers

No, teachers should not be armed. Yes, there are new stories of children killing teachers and other students in schools, but this is not the norm. We also see teachers harm students, so should the students be armed? Security should be improved in schools and rules and regulations should be enforced, but to arm teachers would be bring undue issues on school grounds. Not to mention, what if one of student got to the teacher's weapon?

• More guns means more shootings.

I am assuming that the OP was referring to arming teachers in America which I still think is a bad idea but for most of the world it is working fine. America finds it in a strange position with the prevelence of gun ownership at virtually all levels of society and if that wasnt the case teachers wouldnt have any reason at all to be armed but that being the case I still disagree. More guns means more shootings full stop. Having guns in school means people have access to guns around children and that is not a risk anyone should be taking.

Teachers shouldnt be armed the solution to school shootings is better gun regulations and better education across other sectors.

• Why are we fighting fire with fire?

We need to throw a bucket of water over the evil flames and prevent mentally unstable people from reaching that point in the first place. Rather than burdening teachers, Increase your security guards and update your drill plans. Be more prepared for these situations. Install bullet proof doors and walls and stricter security. So many options other than turning our educative teahers into naive soldiers

• This is Madness

Arming teachers would put the teachers in danger. If you were a teacher and a cop or swat team was to ask everyone who had the gun, would you want to be the one to say yes and potentially get shot. Probably not. That's why teachers should not be armed with guns

• It sets a poor example for the children

Imagine walking into a school and knowing that there are firearms there, that there is a need for firearms there. This creates an unshakable element of fear in what is supposed to be a safe, healthy environment. There are more effective solutions such as confiscation of firearms from a person who is a threat to them self or others. Also, I would not trust the marksmanship of a schoolteacher in a combat situation, most professional soldiers and police officers miss around 80% of their shots. This presents a logistical challenge as well, one has to store every round they fire. Overall arming teachers would be the poorest choice presented. Schools are houses of learning not the town militia's barracks.

>