• Sure but it's not for everyone

I think learning about black history us important and that if you really wanted to learn about you could so some of your own research, But that doesn't mean it's for everybody, I myself am black and live in America, Grade 11. I know what my ancestors have been through, But it's not for everybody, I mean it can open some people's minds sure, But you can't change the way they think kinda thing. One of my classmates mentioned that it was insulting that we only have a month but that's up for anyone's interpretation but it'll never change unless it was a bigger problem.

• Because its good

Because i like peanut butter and jelly, Is it such a bad thing to like peanut butter and jelly. I don't think it is a crime to like peanut butter and jelly. Dear diary, I don't think i like peanut butter and jelly anymore because it tried to eat me while i was pooping.

• Of Course we should celebrate black history month!

Evidently we need to celebrate black history month because based on The comments opposing black history month clearly illustrates that we have to work to do in order to educate people about why we actually celebrate black history month.
    Did you know that the economic impact of slavery continues to this day? Due to compounding interest white people have had the opportunity to amass finances in property and investments. 100 dollars in 1816 is in 2018 worth 3, 584, 920. Black people were deprived of the opportunity to be in possession of property of property because due to discrimination they were not allowed to buy properties because they would affect the risk calculation lowering the prices that houses were sold at. Loan corporations sold them subprime loans due to their skin color drowning them in debt. Black history month also allows them to celebrate their heritage.

• Yes we should

Without it many of the black kids today wouldn't know about all the things their ancestors went through to get them the freedoms they have today. We need to know and we also need to keep pushing this information on everybody not just black people others need to know the things we did as well so they can learn from our footsteps or prevent things that happened to us happen to others.

• Black History Month, Absolutely!

Black History Month is a month where Canadians celebrate the achievements, Accomplishments, And contributions of Black Canadians who have throughout history done so much to make our country prosperous today. Many could argue that Black history month isn’t needed because black history is American history. I completely disagree with this statement. Black History Month is a time where we can learn about the sacrifices and contributions that African Americans made for our country. If we do not know the consequences of our past how can we learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating history? Black History Month is not a time where we overshadow other races but it is a time where we show how a race that had in the past been shown as inferior or lesser than has made differences in our world.
    The argument that Black History Month isn’t needed could stem from the idea that it shouldn’t just be black history that we celebrate, But all races. What is not understood is that Black History Month was not created to place any race above another race, The purpose of this month is to recognize the inferiority that black people faced and can still face to this day. Saying that it shouldn’t be celebrated or that it is racist shows the lack of understanding of the cause of this month. It can’t be racist because the month is meant to put an end to racism by educating and celebrating the accomplishments of a race that was seen inferior. This is not a competition between the “better race” but recognizes a time where a large population of Americans had suffered but have shaped our country into what it is today.
    If we want to make change for the future we have to educate the people of the future on the past. When we teach children in school or just people in general, Especially the younger generation we can instil in them what is right and wrong so that they can make a change and learn from mistakes in the past. There are also many African American kids who do not know the history of their culture and are not being educated at school. If Black History Month can inspire the younger generation of what’s left of black culture and their history, Black history education will be needed for a long time.
    Black History month is ultimately a time where Americans/Canadians can reflect on mistakes made in the past, Recognize and acknowledge the hard work achievement of African Americans that have shaped our country, And educate all generations so that we can see more positive change in the future.

• Yes we should

No body should be judged by the tone of their skin. Back in history people were judged by their skin and those people who did didn't live great life in poverty and being judged and getting a less percent than others did. Those people from when people were judged are still here today and should be honored from living in something so mean and cold they should at least feel good for and the history.

• Yes, We should.

Black history month is important to learn and some people are important TO black history month. If Martin was never alive, Then Whites would be separated from black. Black history month is a way of showing kids and adults and teach them about black history month.
    Martin Luther King Jr. Is important to learn about.

• Yes we should celebrate black history month

The reason We should celebrate black history month is because many African American people have changed lives in good washer's a couple examples:Marten Luther King junior ended segregation Robinson made it were African American people could play Major League Baseball. Also many Blacks have saved lives of others and helped them in a great way.

• Black people are people to

We should because black people were sprayed with fire hoses and were treated so badly. They had to be in different school. Martin Luther king fought for our country and if we completely ignore that it will go back to how it was. White people owned slaves black people were slaves We cannot let racist people take over again.

• Yes we shoal because we have to learn about what we have to thank black people

We do not need to be mean to different colored people. If it wasn't from black people we wouldn't have GPS or we would have not been able to go into space or do a lot of things. We should thank Black people because they have done a lot of us for us white people.

• Even playing field

I think people don’t want it anymore due to the fact that people see all races as equal now a days. I don’t see a black person any different than I see a white, Mexican, Asian any different from each other other than what’s inside. If a black man likes the same things as an Asian man, They’ll be friends. I don’t see the same separation anymore and that’s my guess on why many people see black history month as unneeded at this point.

• Identity politics is a waste of time. Here's why.

Reason 1. The label "black history month" immediately separates people from their human identity and focuses solely on skin color which inherently racist. Reason 2. It creates a false victim mentality. When studying black history month it tends to focus on oppression and old jim crow laws (which are now abolished) and pushes the idea that modern day racism is a prevalent issue (which is false). This can and has lead to civil unrest and creates a divide between Americans. Reason 3. Black history should be taught as American history because racism and slavery were very prominent issues in our country for a long time. Getting rid of black history month and just leaving it as American history by teaching in schools along with the rest of our history. This would be much less dividing and leave people with a feeling of unification instead of creating division.

• There should be no Black history month

The reason I say this is because it creates a rift or divide in our society. Everybody needs to come together as one people and rectify the situation by standardizing educational curriculum in the schools by reflecting the diversity of our society. It is human nature that some people will feel alienated, As more attention is brought to a particular subgroup by expressly recognizing them in relation to the rest of society. The overriding theme to me is that it's just seems to be pushed into my face! I recognize the trials and tribulations the black people experienced throughout history. I don't need to have the situation exacerbated by continually reminding me about history that I had no influence on or with. It seems to be a month of atonement for the rest of society towards the Black culture that people living today were not responsible!

• They’re Not The Spotlight

Black people were slaves and forced to serve but what about everyone else that had to contribute to building this country. Hispanics and Asian are more hard workers to the public and they don’t get much celebration unless it’s “Cinco De Mayo” for one day while BHM is a months of torture yet black people don't care much about it unless there’s a free handout. So there’s no need to celebrate it just see it as a regular day.

• It brings the color of your skin up

This causes race to still be seen as a factor of what defines a person, It brings up race and that’s originally what caused racism. So we should just get rid of every celebration for race. If we do people won’t see color they will see a fellow human being. BTW TRUMP 2020

• No, It supports racism

Not being just unfair to other races as many died for the building of our country, Including that Chinese would be used as free/cheap labor very similar slavery and would often be horribly mutated during the building of railroads. And for the social aspected Japanese were forced out of their home and had to go to camps, Which is arguably worse then what many African-Americans faced. And lastly, It puts African-Americans over any other race, While still pitying them.

• African American culture should'nt be tokenized by the shortest month of the year, Only to become stale over the next 11 months.

Don't get me wrong, Black History should most definitely be taught. The history we are currently taught is predominantly white events, Even when there are many people of different races involved in these events! I believe Black History should be "History". Don't get me wrong, Black History should most definitely be taught. The history we are currently taught is predominantly white events, Even when there are many people of different races involved in these events! I believe Black History should be "History". One month is simply not enough time to learn their contributions, Which is why we always learn the same main events repeatedly, Leaving all the other contributions buried

• All Lives Matter

Racism will never cease until the black community ceases to demand segregation. All Americans have suffered persecution in some form throughout history either for their religion or race. The puritans came from England for for religious freedoms, Scots and Irish were enslaved, Jews and Indians were nearly wiped off the face of the earth. No one race deserves anything over another race, The black race included. We are all Americans, We are all a part of US history good and bad and our stories need told so the horrors are not repeated. But the injustices to the blacks were not above all others and should not be treated as such, They are part of history and we should not be segregating.

• No group needs to be celebrated for an entire month.

Groups should get only a day of awareness if any at all, But a month is ridiculous. Especially considering that black history, Being the shortest month of only 29 days, But it turns into 365 days easily when they never stfu about themselves. Either we are reminded of their struggle or about their achievements.

• Forgive and forget

“We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, We are less prone to hate our enemies. ” This is one of Dr. Kings quotes. We should be treated fairly and not have a month for just black. We should have a plain month for black, It should be for at colors.

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...