• What the heck!!!!!

Yes we should keep black history month because it is the only time when black people really get to learn their history, and if they take it away it would just be like it was back then and there would be even more racism.

P.S i am in fifth grade. I am mexican. I am 10 yers old and that is my opinion.

• R u Kidding me

The reason its black history month is because we had to struggle with segregation and being beaten just because of our skin color. What kind of sense does that make. With all due respect but white people don't deserve their own month; I mean what did y'all do to deserve it? Beat the heck out of back people? All I'm saying is we have a month for a reason.This is a month that allowed African American people to at least feel good about them selves. I cant believe that there is 62% that don't want it and only 38% that do. Its just very sad and disturbing. Its very important to have this month for part, present, and future references

• We overcame !

Appreciate us, understand us, learn about what we been through , and your answer will be HECK YEAH! OUR JOURNEY IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN HISPANICS (WHO HAS A CHOICE TO COME HERE) OR ANY OTHER RACE F0R THAT MATTER. GIVE US A BREAK. THIS OUR MONTH IT WILL ALWAYS BE.

Posted by: watt
  • Black History Month? Absolutely!

Without these 28 days devoted to learning about African Americans' contributions, sacrifices and accomplishments, all Americans won't know a large part of American history built on the backs of one of the most undervalued groups of people in the world. Knowing African-American history is knowing American history! It's a shame there is still a need to carve out a month to recognize what blacks have contributed to this country, but no one would know our story without a dedicated period of discovery. Heightened awareness makes us ALL (black, white, brown, yellow, red) more enlightened and who doesn't want to be more enlightened? Knowing what blacks have done for this country would do wonders in eliminating the ignorance of racism.

• Remembering our African -American Ancestors

In my opinion I think black history month should continue because its the only thing African Americans have that they are not ashamed of .Black history month gives people a good look on history that's sometimes forgotten.I believe all African-Americans need this month to show how their ancestors were before them

• Yes we should!

I think that we should have black history month because a lot of white people think why don't we have white history month? That's because white people started this state, but black people didn't so, basically we celebrate black history month because they made a change for racism. Yeah sure people don't think we should celebrate black history month, but black people helped create this state.

• Why tf not

To me i love black history. Because it makes white racist people hella nervous. And its hella annoying when someones like "wheres the white history month". Bitch its all year. Some people say "it doesnt matter what happened back then, because its better now" but your wrong because its not better now.

• I Absolutely believe Black History Month should stay

The United States is built because of the hard work of slaves. Not to say that the other races did not contribute but if we're being honest it was blacks who were forced to work in the fields that provides the wealth of the united states and without that wealth the U.S would not be the great nation it is today. My question is if people are so considered with whether Black History Month should be continued why not create a month were your culture is celebrates the contribute that made in the U.S? Or is there not enough to celebrate kidnapping and forcing labor for 400 years but surely we there is a way to celebrate taking land from the natives that originally rules this land. To be totally honest American is built of the strength of other countries and immigrants.

• Of course we should

Although I find black history month absolutely absurd, yes we should celebrate it. What all happened to our sisters & brothers before us, cannot go unnoticed, my future children will know. After all our ancestors worked for, now they're going to relegate my history to a month? Where is white history month? Or do they get the whole year? All I ask is that if you don't want to celebrate it, do NOT go around bashing black history, because you, my friend will cause an uproar.
    P.S - I am black . I am a female. I am in the 9th grade.

• Umm... Are you okay???

Obviously we should celebrate Black History Month. I am not an African-American, but as a twelve year old I know that there are many things that happened in the past to the African-Americans. I know many other backgrounds are "jealous" that they do not have a month specialized for them, but if we think, the Black culture has gone through so much. They have gone through slavery, and much more. We should acknowledge that Black people have gone through much and in return of our sorry, we gave them a month specialized for them. If you do not want to celebrate it, then move some place else, beside Canada, America, the Netherlands, Germany, or United Kingdoms. In addition, the past is the past, yes, I know, which we should accept that it is our past and that we are truly sorry.

P.S ~ I am in gr. 7. I am a girl, and am Canadian.

• Even playing field

I think people don’t want it anymore due to the fact that people see all races as equal now a days. I don’t see a black person any different than I see a white, Mexican, Asian any different from each other other than what’s inside. If a black man likes the same things as an Asian man, They’ll be friends. I don’t see the same separation anymore and that’s my guess on why many people see black history month as unneeded at this point.

• Identity politics is a waste of time. Here's why.

Reason 1. The label "black history month" immediately separates people from their human identity and focuses solely on skin color which inherently racist. Reason 2. It creates a false victim mentality. When studying black history month it tends to focus on oppression and old jim crow laws (which are now abolished) and pushes the idea that modern day racism is a prevalent issue (which is false). This can and has lead to civil unrest and creates a divide between Americans. Reason 3. Black history should be taught as American history because racism and slavery were very prominent issues in our country for a long time. Getting rid of black history month and just leaving it as American history by teaching in schools along with the rest of our history. This would be much less dividing and leave people with a feeling of unification instead of creating division.

• There should be no Black history month

The reason I say this is because it creates a rift or divide in our society. Everybody needs to come together as one people and rectify the situation by standardizing educational curriculum in the schools by reflecting the diversity of our society. It is human nature that some people will feel alienated, As more attention is brought to a particular subgroup by expressly recognizing them in relation to the rest of society. The overriding theme to me is that it's just seems to be pushed into my face! I recognize the trials and tribulations the black people experienced throughout history. I don't need to have the situation exacerbated by continually reminding me about history that I had no influence on or with. It seems to be a month of atonement for the rest of society towards the Black culture that people living today were not responsible!

• They’re Not The Spotlight

Black people were slaves and forced to serve but what about everyone else that had to contribute to building this country. Hispanics and Asian are more hard workers to the public and they don’t get much celebration unless it’s “Cinco De Mayo” for one day while BHM is a months of torture yet black people don't care much about it unless there’s a free handout. So there’s no need to celebrate it just see it as a regular day.

• It brings the color of your skin up

This causes race to still be seen as a factor of what defines a person, It brings up race and that’s originally what caused racism. So we should just get rid of every celebration for race. If we do people won’t see color they will see a fellow human being. BTW TRUMP 2020

• No, It supports racism

Not being just unfair to other races as many died for the building of our country, Including that Chinese would be used as free/cheap labor very similar slavery and would often be horribly mutated during the building of railroads. And for the social aspected Japanese were forced out of their home and had to go to camps, Which is arguably worse then what many African-Americans faced. And lastly, It puts African-Americans over any other race, While still pitying them.

• African American culture should'nt be tokenized by the shortest month of the year, Only to become stale over the next 11 months.

Don't get me wrong, Black History should most definitely be taught. The history we are currently taught is predominantly white events, Even when there are many people of different races involved in these events! I believe Black History should be "History". Don't get me wrong, Black History should most definitely be taught. The history we are currently taught is predominantly white events, Even when there are many people of different races involved in these events! I believe Black History should be "History". One month is simply not enough time to learn their contributions, Which is why we always learn the same main events repeatedly, Leaving all the other contributions buried

• All Lives Matter

Racism will never cease until the black community ceases to demand segregation. All Americans have suffered persecution in some form throughout history either for their religion or race. The puritans came from England for for religious freedoms, Scots and Irish were enslaved, Jews and Indians were nearly wiped off the face of the earth. No one race deserves anything over another race, The black race included. We are all Americans, We are all a part of US history good and bad and our stories need told so the horrors are not repeated. But the injustices to the blacks were not above all others and should not be treated as such, They are part of history and we should not be segregating.

• No group needs to be celebrated for an entire month.

Groups should get only a day of awareness if any at all, But a month is ridiculous. Especially considering that black history, Being the shortest month of only 29 days, But it turns into 365 days easily when they never stfu about themselves. Either we are reminded of their struggle or about their achievements.

• Forgive and forget

“We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, We are less prone to hate our enemies. ” This is one of Dr. Kings quotes. We should be treated fairly and not have a month for just black. We should have a plain month for black, It should be for at colors.

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...