• What the heck!!!!!

Yes we should keep black history month because it is the only time when black people really get to learn their history, and if they take it away it would just be like it was back then and there would be even more racism.

P.S i am in fifth grade. I am mexican. I am 10 yers old and that is my opinion.

• R u Kidding me

The reason its black history month is because we had to struggle with segregation and being beaten just because of our skin color. What kind of sense does that make. With all due respect but white people don't deserve their own month; I mean what did y'all do to deserve it? Beat the heck out of back people? All I'm saying is we have a month for a reason.This is a month that allowed African American people to at least feel good about them selves. I cant believe that there is 62% that don't want it and only 38% that do. Its just very sad and disturbing. Its very important to have this month for part, present, and future references

• We overcame !

Appreciate us, understand us, learn about what we been through , and your answer will be HECK YEAH! OUR JOURNEY IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN HISPANICS (WHO HAS A CHOICE TO COME HERE) OR ANY OTHER RACE F0R THAT MATTER. GIVE US A BREAK. THIS OUR MONTH IT WILL ALWAYS BE.

Posted by: watt
  • Black History Month? Absolutely!

Without these 28 days devoted to learning about African Americans' contributions, sacrifices and accomplishments, all Americans won't know a large part of American history built on the backs of one of the most undervalued groups of people in the world. Knowing African-American history is knowing American history! It's a shame there is still a need to carve out a month to recognize what blacks have contributed to this country, but no one would know our story without a dedicated period of discovery. Heightened awareness makes us ALL (black, white, brown, yellow, red) more enlightened and who doesn't want to be more enlightened? Knowing what blacks have done for this country would do wonders in eliminating the ignorance of racism.

• Remembering our African -American Ancestors

In my opinion I think black history month should continue because its the only thing African Americans have that they are not ashamed of .Black history month gives people a good look on history that's sometimes forgotten.I believe all African-Americans need this month to show how their ancestors were before them

• Yes we should!

I think that we should have black history month because a lot of white people think why don't we have white history month? That's because white people started this state, but black people didn't so, basically we celebrate black history month because they made a change for racism. Yeah sure people don't think we should celebrate black history month, but black people helped create this state.

• Why tf not

To me i love black history. Because it makes white racist people hella nervous. And its hella annoying when someones like "wheres the white history month". Bitch its all year. Some people say "it doesnt matter what happened back then, because its better now" but your wrong because its not better now.

• I Absolutely believe Black History Month should stay

The United States is built because of the hard work of slaves. Not to say that the other races did not contribute but if we're being honest it was blacks who were forced to work in the fields that provides the wealth of the united states and without that wealth the U.S would not be the great nation it is today. My question is if people are so considered with whether Black History Month should be continued why not create a month were your culture is celebrates the contribute that made in the U.S? Or is there not enough to celebrate kidnapping and forcing labor for 400 years but surely we there is a way to celebrate taking land from the natives that originally rules this land. To be totally honest American is built of the strength of other countries and immigrants.

• Of course we should

Although I find black history month absolutely absurd, yes we should celebrate it. What all happened to our sisters & brothers before us, cannot go unnoticed, my future children will know. After all our ancestors worked for, now they're going to relegate my history to a month? Where is white history month? Or do they get the whole year? All I ask is that if you don't want to celebrate it, do NOT go around bashing black history, because you, my friend will cause an uproar.
    P.S - I am black . I am a female. I am in the 9th grade.

• Umm... Are you okay???

Obviously we should celebrate Black History Month. I am not an African-American, but as a twelve year old I know that there are many things that happened in the past to the African-Americans. I know many other backgrounds are "jealous" that they do not have a month specialized for them, but if we think, the Black culture has gone through so much. They have gone through slavery, and much more. We should acknowledge that Black people have gone through much and in return of our sorry, we gave them a month specialized for them. If you do not want to celebrate it, then move some place else, beside Canada, America, the Netherlands, Germany, or United Kingdoms. In addition, the past is the past, yes, I know, which we should accept that it is our past and that we are truly sorry.

P.S ~ I am in gr. 7. I am a girl, and am Canadian.

• Racist Month. Period.

Why should there be a black history month when there is no month for any other race? No one race should be above the others. Equality, not this. We need to end racism, not disguise it and feed it to the next generation. We are ALL Americans. Let's make a month for that.

• No. Absolutely not.

The same people who support black history month would not support White power month or Aryan pride day. This shows a preference for one race over another which is the very definition of racism. The idea of little white boys and little white girls joining hands with little black boys and little black girls is based on color blindness which will not be served by promoting the black race above all others.

• White history month

I believe it only promotes reverse racism in this day and age. If someone proposed a white history month they would be labelled a racist. How then is it acceptable to have an entire month set aside to show the accomplishments of one ethnic group. It is a double standard to promote one race over another.

• Promote color blindness

The best outcome for all of us is to promote color blindness. A hero is a hero, regardless of race, gender or creed. Anything less than that creates a differentiating of people based on birth. This will always lead to hard feelings and issues. I am not aware of an oriental or white hero day and that causes resentment. Or a female hero day!

• If we're all equal, why do they get a whole month dedicated to them?

If everyone is truly equal, why does one ethnic group get an entire month dedicated to them?
    If there is indeed a Native American's month, Hispanic's Month, and Women's Month (as some comments here state), I have never heard of them in my LIFE, yet there are giant posters saying "BLACK HISTORY MONTH" all over my school - as there always are in February.
    If everyone wants to be thought of as equals, they need to start acting like it.

• Black History is American History

Black History Month is a poor excuse for a dedication to African American people in history. If the African American people in history made differences in America, it should be considered AMERICAN history and shouldn't just be taught in the shortest month of the year as a tribute to their skin color.

• Just say no.

Equality means "Of the same Value." By relegating the month of February to be a month where Black History is prevalent, we are by definition making the topic biased. This Bias says that for this period of time, ANY other groups history isn't as important as black history. This is racial inequality. I don't believe the Black Leaders of the civil rights movement wanted a month where civil rights and equality could be remembered - I think they were fighting for equality in everyday life. I believe in equality - I have for my entire life - I don't believe the advent of Black History month makes reparations for the past conflicts of racism, but I don't feel reparations are even possible in this day. I feel it's every citizen's right and duty to stand up and say, "I am an American - just like all the other other Americans I meet every day - no matter their race, background, or color of their skin. We are all equal."
    So get up, be an American, stand equally with your brother and sister Americans, and realize that the "Dream of Equality" is a reality now. Work hard to make the rest of your dreams come true - Did Black History month ever give anyone the key to their dreams? Americans do it every day of the year.

• It fuels racism

Having different holidays specifically for any race just helps to fuels the racism. We need to take down the racial barrier not celebrate any one race but human kind as a whole. So lets get rid of black history month and change it top a month for celebrating the history of humans as a whole.

• No, Combine all history.

I don't think we need to celebrate an entire month for a single race of people. Combine black history with every other history and teach American history, not race history.
    I support black history, but we as Americans need unify our history and stop trying to show everyone else that each race has more challenges than the next.

• No. It is a perpetuation of segregation.

What is a black hero? Is he not simply a hero? I certainly don't think of Abraham Lincoln as a white hero who should only be especially celebrated during a white history month. Maybe we should have equality celebration month, or civil rights for all month, but certainly we should not have specifically black history month. Celebrating one group's accomplishments places them as superior to other groups. And, if we single out blacks, who will stand up for the Native American Indians' rights and culture, another group whom America has persecuted for centuries?

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...