• Sure but it's not for everyone

I think learning about black history us important and that if you really wanted to learn about you could so some of your own research, But that doesn't mean it's for everybody, I myself am black and live in America, Grade 11. I know what my ancestors have been through, But it's not for everybody, I mean it can open some people's minds sure, But you can't change the way they think kinda thing. One of my classmates mentioned that it was insulting that we only have a month but that's up for anyone's interpretation but it'll never change unless it was a bigger problem.

• Because its good

Because i like peanut butter and jelly, Is it such a bad thing to like peanut butter and jelly. I don't think it is a crime to like peanut butter and jelly. Dear diary, I don't think i like peanut butter and jelly anymore because it tried to eat me while i was pooping.

• Of Course we should celebrate black history month!

Evidently we need to celebrate black history month because based on The comments opposing black history month clearly illustrates that we have to work to do in order to educate people about why we actually celebrate black history month.
    Did you know that the economic impact of slavery continues to this day? Due to compounding interest white people have had the opportunity to amass finances in property and investments. 100 dollars in 1816 is in 2018 worth 3, 584, 920. Black people were deprived of the opportunity to be in possession of property of property because due to discrimination they were not allowed to buy properties because they would affect the risk calculation lowering the prices that houses were sold at. Loan corporations sold them subprime loans due to their skin color drowning them in debt. Black history month also allows them to celebrate their heritage.

• Yes we should

Without it many of the black kids today wouldn't know about all the things their ancestors went through to get them the freedoms they have today. We need to know and we also need to keep pushing this information on everybody not just black people others need to know the things we did as well so they can learn from our footsteps or prevent things that happened to us happen to others.

• Black History Month, Absolutely!

Black History Month is a month where Canadians celebrate the achievements, Accomplishments, And contributions of Black Canadians who have throughout history done so much to make our country prosperous today. Many could argue that Black history month isn’t needed because black history is American history. I completely disagree with this statement. Black History Month is a time where we can learn about the sacrifices and contributions that African Americans made for our country. If we do not know the consequences of our past how can we learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating history? Black History Month is not a time where we overshadow other races but it is a time where we show how a race that had in the past been shown as inferior or lesser than has made differences in our world.
    The argument that Black History Month isn’t needed could stem from the idea that it shouldn’t just be black history that we celebrate, But all races. What is not understood is that Black History Month was not created to place any race above another race, The purpose of this month is to recognize the inferiority that black people faced and can still face to this day. Saying that it shouldn’t be celebrated or that it is racist shows the lack of understanding of the cause of this month. It can’t be racist because the month is meant to put an end to racism by educating and celebrating the accomplishments of a race that was seen inferior. This is not a competition between the “better race” but recognizes a time where a large population of Americans had suffered but have shaped our country into what it is today.
    If we want to make change for the future we have to educate the people of the future on the past. When we teach children in school or just people in general, Especially the younger generation we can instil in them what is right and wrong so that they can make a change and learn from mistakes in the past. There are also many African American kids who do not know the history of their culture and are not being educated at school. If Black History Month can inspire the younger generation of what’s left of black culture and their history, Black history education will be needed for a long time.
    Black History month is ultimately a time where Americans/Canadians can reflect on mistakes made in the past, Recognize and acknowledge the hard work achievement of African Americans that have shaped our country, And educate all generations so that we can see more positive change in the future.

• Yes we should

No body should be judged by the tone of their skin. Back in history people were judged by their skin and those people who did didn't live great life in poverty and being judged and getting a less percent than others did. Those people from when people were judged are still here today and should be honored from living in something so mean and cold they should at least feel good for and the history.

• Yes, We should.

Black history month is important to learn and some people are important TO black history month. If Martin was never alive, Then Whites would be separated from black. Black history month is a way of showing kids and adults and teach them about black history month.
    Martin Luther King Jr. Is important to learn about.

• Yes we should celebrate black history month

The reason We should celebrate black history month is because many African American people have changed lives in good washer's a couple examples:Marten Luther King junior ended segregation Robinson made it were African American people could play Major League Baseball. Also many Blacks have saved lives of others and helped them in a great way.

• Black people are people to

We should because black people were sprayed with fire hoses and were treated so badly. They had to be in different school. Martin Luther king fought for our country and if we completely ignore that it will go back to how it was. White people owned slaves black people were slaves We cannot let racist people take over again.

• Yes we shoal because we have to learn about what we have to thank black people

We do not need to be mean to different colored people. If it wasn't from black people we wouldn't have GPS or we would have not been able to go into space or do a lot of things. We should thank Black people because they have done a lot of us for us white people.

• I’m Mexican last l

I’m Mexican and I really care about me Mexicans lol we Mexican Mexico has been exposed for the past two hundred months of this week but I gotta is it to josh and he is gonna he was a good night and I wanna know how much he is doing.

• No we should NOT

Just watch this short clip of an interview where this question was brought up to Morgan Freeman. He puts it very well, and it makes a lot of sense. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s . I have to write nineteen more words to finish this, but I think Morgan Freeman says enough so I’m not gonna my it o add to it.

• Defeats the purpose

We want to be equal but then we want a month devoted just to the African American race. Yes they went through many trials and tribulations and there are many hero’s that should be celebrated. However, we do not have a Native American month, an Irish American month (many came over as slaves check history), or even Chinese American month. I personally think designating an entire month hinders. Ultimately I just wish people could live by the golden rule of due unto others as you would want done to you. It’s simple let’s not be assholes, but alas there will always be differences.

• Um sorry but no.

If there isn't a "Asian history month" "Mexican history month" or a "white history month" then we don't need a black history month. We are all equal so its about time to stop playing the victim card. This is just my opinion and what i believe. Its okay to be anything not just black. Sorry not sorry.

• It shouldn't be a thing

We are constantly arguing that we need this and that that isn't necessary. Well this black history month isn't needed. We should celebrate our history as our own. The AMERICAN history, not segregate our histories when we don't have to, its a celebration that isn't needed. I think we should learn everything equally.

• Why is there not a Asian month? Why isn't there a Hispanic month? Why is there not a Caucasian month?

Why do we set an entire month of the year just to "celebrate" black people? America was built by Europeans who came here, declared independence, and fought the mighty Brits. Sure blacks picked the white mans cotton but now they are pretty much a drain on society. Look at any major city now and you can see blacks just sitting around doing nothing but collected their monthly check from the government. It took long enough for a black man to get elected at president.

• Being black is not a religion or means to be treated/celebrated differently.

The whole topic of black's rights through America's history centered around all races being treated equally. To have a month dedicated to the history surrounding blacks specifically is a segregating act in and of itself. In reality, all history is important. Race does not matter. If we teach history as only fragments or portions, the truth is lost or bastardized. So to have a month on only the history of blacks is one that harms all races. Stop thinking as race and begin thinking as citizens. Should we do that, we will cease with the talk on whose lives matter and instead say that we matter. Through such unity, a better future is birthed.

• I believe in the individual, that to say these people were great simply because they were black is false and only promotes seperation.

People need to understand that they aren't celebrating these people because they were fantastic individuals, they are celebrating them because they are... Black? Sure racism exists, but it's not like the general public is actively discriminating against african americans (there isn't any evidence you dimwits). I think it should be American History month, where we acknowledge great American individuals who contributed to growth and freedom.

• Great in theory, but I feel lately it can be divisive

Celebrating your background, culture, history, etc is great, something anyone and everyone should do. I applaud the intention behind it, and how people learn about those who were before them that paved the way to where they are today, something very good. However, I feel lately it has become another way of creating division and tension, thinking of things as black or white, etc. You don't hear much about Latin American/Hispanic history month, Asian history month, Native American history month, and never will hear white history month. Again, in theory, Black History Month is good, but I feel it ultimately makes us see skin color and race rather than people's character. We should love each other regardless of how we look or where we are from.

• It singles out

For example, at my school there aren’t many black kids. So when everyone is celebrating/talking about black history month and your one of the only black kids wouldn’t you feel different. Especially when you are a young kid going through middle school. It’s already hard enough to feel like you fit in on a daily basis.
    I also recently moved from Australia to America and we don’t celebrate black history month because it’s black history month in America. So maybe if they changed it to black history month for the world, it wouldn’t single people out as much.
    Except, then there’s another topic, why isn’t there a month for every other race?

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...