• What the heck!!!!!

Yes we should keep black history month because it is the only time when black people really get to learn their history, and if they take it away it would just be like it was back then and there would be even more racism.

P.S i am in fifth grade. I am mexican. I am 10 yers old and that is my opinion.

• R u Kidding me

The reason its black history month is because we had to struggle with segregation and being beaten just because of our skin color. What kind of sense does that make. With all due respect but white people don't deserve their own month; I mean what did y'all do to deserve it? Beat the heck out of back people? All I'm saying is we have a month for a reason.This is a month that allowed African American people to at least feel good about them selves. I cant believe that there is 62% that don't want it and only 38% that do. Its just very sad and disturbing. Its very important to have this month for part, present, and future references

• We overcame !

Appreciate us, understand us, learn about what we been through , and your answer will be HECK YEAH! OUR JOURNEY IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN HISPANICS (WHO HAS A CHOICE TO COME HERE) OR ANY OTHER RACE F0R THAT MATTER. GIVE US A BREAK. THIS OUR MONTH IT WILL ALWAYS BE.

Posted by: watt
  • Black History Month? Absolutely!

Without these 28 days devoted to learning about African Americans' contributions, sacrifices and accomplishments, all Americans won't know a large part of American history built on the backs of one of the most undervalued groups of people in the world. Knowing African-American history is knowing American history! It's a shame there is still a need to carve out a month to recognize what blacks have contributed to this country, but no one would know our story without a dedicated period of discovery. Heightened awareness makes us ALL (black, white, brown, yellow, red) more enlightened and who doesn't want to be more enlightened? Knowing what blacks have done for this country would do wonders in eliminating the ignorance of racism.

• Remembering our African -American Ancestors

In my opinion I think black history month should continue because its the only thing African Americans have that they are not ashamed of .Black history month gives people a good look on history that's sometimes forgotten.I believe all African-Americans need this month to show how their ancestors were before them

• Yes we should!

I think that we should have black history month because a lot of white people think why don't we have white history month? That's because white people started this state, but black people didn't so, basically we celebrate black history month because they made a change for racism. Yeah sure people don't think we should celebrate black history month, but black people helped create this state.

• Why tf not

To me i love black history. Because it makes white racist people hella nervous. And its hella annoying when someones like "wheres the white history month". Bitch its all year. Some people say "it doesnt matter what happened back then, because its better now" but your wrong because its not better now.

• I Absolutely believe Black History Month should stay

The United States is built because of the hard work of slaves. Not to say that the other races did not contribute but if we're being honest it was blacks who were forced to work in the fields that provides the wealth of the united states and without that wealth the U.S would not be the great nation it is today. My question is if people are so considered with whether Black History Month should be continued why not create a month were your culture is celebrates the contribute that made in the U.S? Or is there not enough to celebrate kidnapping and forcing labor for 400 years but surely we there is a way to celebrate taking land from the natives that originally rules this land. To be totally honest American is built of the strength of other countries and immigrants.

• Of course we should

Although I find black history month absolutely absurd, yes we should celebrate it. What all happened to our sisters & brothers before us, cannot go unnoticed, my future children will know. After all our ancestors worked for, now they're going to relegate my history to a month? Where is white history month? Or do they get the whole year? All I ask is that if you don't want to celebrate it, do NOT go around bashing black history, because you, my friend will cause an uproar.
    P.S - I am black . I am a female. I am in the 9th grade.

• Umm... Are you okay???

Obviously we should celebrate Black History Month. I am not an African-American, but as a twelve year old I know that there are many things that happened in the past to the African-Americans. I know many other backgrounds are "jealous" that they do not have a month specialized for them, but if we think, the Black culture has gone through so much. They have gone through slavery, and much more. We should acknowledge that Black people have gone through much and in return of our sorry, we gave them a month specialized for them. If you do not want to celebrate it, then move some place else, beside Canada, America, the Netherlands, Germany, or United Kingdoms. In addition, the past is the past, yes, I know, which we should accept that it is our past and that we are truly sorry.

P.S ~ I am in gr. 7. I am a girl, and am Canadian.

• I’m Mexican last l

I’m Mexican and I really care about me Mexicans lol we Mexican Mexico has been exposed for the past two hundred months of this week but I gotta is it to josh and he is gonna he was a good night and I wanna know how much he is doing.

• No we should NOT

Just watch this short clip of an interview where this question was brought up to Morgan Freeman. He puts it very well, and it makes a lot of sense. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s . I have to write nineteen more words to finish this, but I think Morgan Freeman says enough so I’m not gonna my it o add to it.

• Defeats the purpose

We want to be equal but then we want a month devoted just to the African American race. Yes they went through many trials and tribulations and there are many hero’s that should be celebrated. However, we do not have a Native American month, an Irish American month (many came over as slaves check history), or even Chinese American month. I personally think designating an entire month hinders. Ultimately I just wish people could live by the golden rule of due unto others as you would want done to you. It’s simple let’s not be assholes, but alas there will always be differences.

• Um sorry but no.

If there isn't a "Asian history month" "Mexican history month" or a "white history month" then we don't need a black history month. We are all equal so its about time to stop playing the victim card. This is just my opinion and what i believe. Its okay to be anything not just black. Sorry not sorry.

• It shouldn't be a thing

We are constantly arguing that we need this and that that isn't necessary. Well this black history month isn't needed. We should celebrate our history as our own. The AMERICAN history, not segregate our histories when we don't have to, its a celebration that isn't needed. I think we should learn everything equally.

• Why is there not a Asian month? Why isn't there a Hispanic month? Why is there not a Caucasian month?

Why do we set an entire month of the year just to "celebrate" black people? America was built by Europeans who came here, declared independence, and fought the mighty Brits. Sure blacks picked the white mans cotton but now they are pretty much a drain on society. Look at any major city now and you can see blacks just sitting around doing nothing but collected their monthly check from the government. It took long enough for a black man to get elected at president.

• Being black is not a religion or means to be treated/celebrated differently.

The whole topic of black's rights through America's history centered around all races being treated equally. To have a month dedicated to the history surrounding blacks specifically is a segregating act in and of itself. In reality, all history is important. Race does not matter. If we teach history as only fragments or portions, the truth is lost or bastardized. So to have a month on only the history of blacks is one that harms all races. Stop thinking as race and begin thinking as citizens. Should we do that, we will cease with the talk on whose lives matter and instead say that we matter. Through such unity, a better future is birthed.

• I believe in the individual, that to say these people were great simply because they were black is false and only promotes seperation.

People need to understand that they aren't celebrating these people because they were fantastic individuals, they are celebrating them because they are... Black? Sure racism exists, but it's not like the general public is actively discriminating against african americans (there isn't any evidence you dimwits). I think it should be American History month, where we acknowledge great American individuals who contributed to growth and freedom.

• Great in theory, but I feel lately it can be divisive

Celebrating your background, culture, history, etc is great, something anyone and everyone should do. I applaud the intention behind it, and how people learn about those who were before them that paved the way to where they are today, something very good. However, I feel lately it has become another way of creating division and tension, thinking of things as black or white, etc. You don't hear much about Latin American/Hispanic history month, Asian history month, Native American history month, and never will hear white history month. Again, in theory, Black History Month is good, but I feel it ultimately makes us see skin color and race rather than people's character. We should love each other regardless of how we look or where we are from.

• It singles out

For example, at my school there aren’t many black kids. So when everyone is celebrating/talking about black history month and your one of the only black kids wouldn’t you feel different. Especially when you are a young kid going through middle school. It’s already hard enough to feel like you fit in on a daily basis.
    I also recently moved from Australia to America and we don’t celebrate black history month because it’s black history month in America. So maybe if they changed it to black history month for the world, it wouldn’t single people out as much.
    Except, then there’s another topic, why isn’t there a month for every other race?

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...