• What the heck!!!!!

Yes we should keep black history month because it is the only time when black people really get to learn their history, and if they take it away it would just be like it was back then and there would be even more racism.

P.S i am in fifth grade. I am mexican. I am 10 yers old and that is my opinion.

• R u Kidding me

The reason its black history month is because we had to struggle with segregation and being beaten just because of our skin color. What kind of sense does that make. With all due respect but white people don't deserve their own month; I mean what did y'all do to deserve it? Beat the heck out of back people? All I'm saying is we have a month for a reason.This is a month that allowed African American people to at least feel good about them selves. I cant believe that there is 62% that don't want it and only 38% that do. Its just very sad and disturbing. Its very important to have this month for part, present, and future references

• We overcame !

Appreciate us, understand us, learn about what we been through , and your answer will be HECK YEAH! OUR JOURNEY IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN HISPANICS (WHO HAS A CHOICE TO COME HERE) OR ANY OTHER RACE F0R THAT MATTER. GIVE US A BREAK. THIS OUR MONTH IT WILL ALWAYS BE.

Posted by: watt
  • Black History Month? Absolutely!

Without these 28 days devoted to learning about African Americans' contributions, sacrifices and accomplishments, all Americans won't know a large part of American history built on the backs of one of the most undervalued groups of people in the world. Knowing African-American history is knowing American history! It's a shame there is still a need to carve out a month to recognize what blacks have contributed to this country, but no one would know our story without a dedicated period of discovery. Heightened awareness makes us ALL (black, white, brown, yellow, red) more enlightened and who doesn't want to be more enlightened? Knowing what blacks have done for this country would do wonders in eliminating the ignorance of racism.

• Remembering our African -American Ancestors

In my opinion I think black history month should continue because its the only thing African Americans have that they are not ashamed of .Black history month gives people a good look on history that's sometimes forgotten.I believe all African-Americans need this month to show how their ancestors were before them

• Yes we should!

I think that we should have black history month because a lot of white people think why don't we have white history month? That's because white people started this state, but black people didn't so, basically we celebrate black history month because they made a change for racism. Yeah sure people don't think we should celebrate black history month, but black people helped create this state.

• Why tf not

To me i love black history. Because it makes white racist people hella nervous. And its hella annoying when someones like "wheres the white history month". Bitch its all year. Some people say "it doesnt matter what happened back then, because its better now" but your wrong because its not better now.

• I Absolutely believe Black History Month should stay

The United States is built because of the hard work of slaves. Not to say that the other races did not contribute but if we're being honest it was blacks who were forced to work in the fields that provides the wealth of the united states and without that wealth the U.S would not be the great nation it is today. My question is if people are so considered with whether Black History Month should be continued why not create a month were your culture is celebrates the contribute that made in the U.S? Or is there not enough to celebrate kidnapping and forcing labor for 400 years but surely we there is a way to celebrate taking land from the natives that originally rules this land. To be totally honest American is built of the strength of other countries and immigrants.

• Of course we should

Although I find black history month absolutely absurd, yes we should celebrate it. What all happened to our sisters & brothers before us, cannot go unnoticed, my future children will know. After all our ancestors worked for, now they're going to relegate my history to a month? Where is white history month? Or do they get the whole year? All I ask is that if you don't want to celebrate it, do NOT go around bashing black history, because you, my friend will cause an uproar.
    P.S - I am black . I am a female. I am in the 9th grade.

• Umm... Are you okay???

Obviously we should celebrate Black History Month. I am not an African-American, but as a twelve year old I know that there are many things that happened in the past to the African-Americans. I know many other backgrounds are "jealous" that they do not have a month specialized for them, but if we think, the Black culture has gone through so much. They have gone through slavery, and much more. We should acknowledge that Black people have gone through much and in return of our sorry, we gave them a month specialized for them. If you do not want to celebrate it, then move some place else, beside Canada, America, the Netherlands, Germany, or United Kingdoms. In addition, the past is the past, yes, I know, which we should accept that it is our past and that we are truly sorry.

P.S ~ I am in gr. 7. I am a girl, and am Canadian.

• No, there should not be a Black History Month.

Yes, black history month shows the struggle African-Americans went through in the US. Did white people go through struggle too? Did Native Americans? Hispanics? Asians? If there was a White History Month, a strong majority of those supporting BHM would be against and possibly protest it. All the month truly does is protest racism.

• Why don't other races have history Months

Other races also have history, so of course there shouldn't only be black history month. African Americans are just a race in America just like Indians? If every race had a history month then there won't be enoughs months of the year to celebrate them all and we can't create a thirteenth month. So celebrating black history month is unfair to non blacks

• Truly educate people

Chinese were abused in this country just a much as African Americans. American history is American history and it involves every race. If we keep black history month, we should teach who Margaret Sanger was and what she really thought and why she is a bad person. Then people might question why democrats like her so much.

• Why just black?

So what if blacks are slaves, there were others of different color that were slaves as well. If the "Blacks were slaves" is the reason from some of you then why not dedicate a month for the history of slavery. We should have American history. History based on people who made a difference in making America a better place. This month of black history seems one sided to me. Argue to me on how I'm racist and my opinion is ridiculous for you can't change my mind...

• Why Just Black

I get that back then blacks were slaves and it was a dark time but blacks weren't the only slaves. We should be celebrating American history. History which tells of the people who made a difference to making America a better place. You don't have to take my word for this is just an a opinion of mine.

• American Heritage Month

We should celebrate all nationalities/races that have made this country strong. We don’t have enough months to dedicate a month to each, so let’s celebrate EVERYONE’S heritage during a single month. Since Black History Month is already established, let’s replace it with American Heritage Month. I think the Vikings (including Leif Eriksson) would appreciate a little recognition for building this country, and the Native American’s might appreciate a little recognition also; without whom the Pilgrims would not have survived even the first winter. The Pilgrims, without whom civilization may still not have reached North America, need their accomplishments highlighted also. And let’s not forget the Chinese, who built the railroads, without which the transportation of the cotton that the Blacks cultivated would not have been possible. And without the influx of the English, Spanish, Italians, French, Germans, and so many other nations, this nation would not have been founded at all. So, let’s celebrate all nationalities/races that made this country the country it is today, and may God bless everyone that has contributed to its success.

• No, we should just teach about black people and everyone else.

Don’t relegate 1 month to talk about black people, talk about all people. There’s no Mexican History Month, or Asian History Month, so why are black people special. We don’t need to be colorblind. Express our differences, that’s what makes us human. Even Morgan Freeman says we should just stop talking about racism.

• A Derogatory Holiday

Why should we celebrate a holiday that only shows the importance of the things that Black people have accomplished? Yes, while I agree that White people have done their fair share of mistreatment towards the Blacks, but what about other ethnic groups? Asians have been severely discriminated in the U.S. (ex. Executive Order 9066 during WW2, Japanese people are forced to live in internment camps), and I don't hear Asians screaming for the U.S. to celebrate Asian History Month.

• Black history is American history

Having a black history month is just another way of segregating black from white. It enforces the idea that black history isn't important any other time. Why should they get only one month when everyone else has a year. Where is white history month or mexican history month or jewish history month? Would you want a whole month dedicated to your race? I would not. Black history is American history and all cultures should be celebrated year round.

• Celebrations being United.

We should as a country more forward to all backgrounds. All Americans have had to endure hardships. To pick one background over another in itself can over time create a divide .This does not promote unity. If we are trying to right wrongs let's start at the beginning with the Indians.I would opt for January to begin the New Year as a reminder for all backgrounds to celebrate. I myself became a citizen in 1986 .The focus should be a positive experience of people who made a difference from all backgrounds.Black people definitely have contributions to celebrate but join vs dividing and go as a American month for all.

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...