• Sure but it's not for everyone

I think learning about black history us important and that if you really wanted to learn about you could so some of your own research, But that doesn't mean it's for everybody, I myself am black and live in America, Grade 11. I know what my ancestors have been through, But it's not for everybody, I mean it can open some people's minds sure, But you can't change the way they think kinda thing. One of my classmates mentioned that it was insulting that we only have a month but that's up for anyone's interpretation but it'll never change unless it was a bigger problem.

• Because its good

Because i like peanut butter and jelly, Is it such a bad thing to like peanut butter and jelly. I don't think it is a crime to like peanut butter and jelly. Dear diary, I don't think i like peanut butter and jelly anymore because it tried to eat me while i was pooping.

• Of Course we should celebrate black history month!

Evidently we need to celebrate black history month because based on The comments opposing black history month clearly illustrates that we have to work to do in order to educate people about why we actually celebrate black history month.
    Did you know that the economic impact of slavery continues to this day? Due to compounding interest white people have had the opportunity to amass finances in property and investments. 100 dollars in 1816 is in 2018 worth 3, 584, 920. Black people were deprived of the opportunity to be in possession of property of property because due to discrimination they were not allowed to buy properties because they would affect the risk calculation lowering the prices that houses were sold at. Loan corporations sold them subprime loans due to their skin color drowning them in debt. Black history month also allows them to celebrate their heritage.

• Yes we should

Without it many of the black kids today wouldn't know about all the things their ancestors went through to get them the freedoms they have today. We need to know and we also need to keep pushing this information on everybody not just black people others need to know the things we did as well so they can learn from our footsteps or prevent things that happened to us happen to others.

• Black History Month, Absolutely!

Black History Month is a month where Canadians celebrate the achievements, Accomplishments, And contributions of Black Canadians who have throughout history done so much to make our country prosperous today. Many could argue that Black history month isn’t needed because black history is American history. I completely disagree with this statement. Black History Month is a time where we can learn about the sacrifices and contributions that African Americans made for our country. If we do not know the consequences of our past how can we learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating history? Black History Month is not a time where we overshadow other races but it is a time where we show how a race that had in the past been shown as inferior or lesser than has made differences in our world.
    The argument that Black History Month isn’t needed could stem from the idea that it shouldn’t just be black history that we celebrate, But all races. What is not understood is that Black History Month was not created to place any race above another race, The purpose of this month is to recognize the inferiority that black people faced and can still face to this day. Saying that it shouldn’t be celebrated or that it is racist shows the lack of understanding of the cause of this month. It can’t be racist because the month is meant to put an end to racism by educating and celebrating the accomplishments of a race that was seen inferior. This is not a competition between the “better race” but recognizes a time where a large population of Americans had suffered but have shaped our country into what it is today.
    If we want to make change for the future we have to educate the people of the future on the past. When we teach children in school or just people in general, Especially the younger generation we can instil in them what is right and wrong so that they can make a change and learn from mistakes in the past. There are also many African American kids who do not know the history of their culture and are not being educated at school. If Black History Month can inspire the younger generation of what’s left of black culture and their history, Black history education will be needed for a long time.
    Black History month is ultimately a time where Americans/Canadians can reflect on mistakes made in the past, Recognize and acknowledge the hard work achievement of African Americans that have shaped our country, And educate all generations so that we can see more positive change in the future.

• Yes we should

No body should be judged by the tone of their skin. Back in history people were judged by their skin and those people who did didn't live great life in poverty and being judged and getting a less percent than others did. Those people from when people were judged are still here today and should be honored from living in something so mean and cold they should at least feel good for and the history.

• Yes, We should.

Black history month is important to learn and some people are important TO black history month. If Martin was never alive, Then Whites would be separated from black. Black history month is a way of showing kids and adults and teach them about black history month.
    Martin Luther King Jr. Is important to learn about.

• Yes we should celebrate black history month

The reason We should celebrate black history month is because many African American people have changed lives in good washer's a couple examples:Marten Luther King junior ended segregation Robinson made it were African American people could play Major League Baseball. Also many Blacks have saved lives of others and helped them in a great way.

• Black people are people to

We should because black people were sprayed with fire hoses and were treated so badly. They had to be in different school. Martin Luther king fought for our country and if we completely ignore that it will go back to how it was. White people owned slaves black people were slaves We cannot let racist people take over again.

• Yes we shoal because we have to learn about what we have to thank black people

We do not need to be mean to different colored people. If it wasn't from black people we wouldn't have GPS or we would have not been able to go into space or do a lot of things. We should thank Black people because they have done a lot of us for us white people.

• Black History is American History

Black History Month is a poor excuse for a dedication to African American people in history. If the African American people in history made differences in America, it should be considered AMERICAN history and shouldn't just be taught in the shortest month of the year as a tribute to their skin color.

• Just say no.

Equality means "Of the same Value." By relegating the month of February to be a month where Black History is prevalent, we are by definition making the topic biased. This Bias says that for this period of time, ANY other groups history isn't as important as black history. This is racial inequality. I don't believe the Black Leaders of the civil rights movement wanted a month where civil rights and equality could be remembered - I think they were fighting for equality in everyday life. I believe in equality - I have for my entire life - I don't believe the advent of Black History month makes reparations for the past conflicts of racism, but I don't feel reparations are even possible in this day. I feel it's every citizen's right and duty to stand up and say, "I am an American - just like all the other other Americans I meet every day - no matter their race, background, or color of their skin. We are all equal."
    So get up, be an American, stand equally with your brother and sister Americans, and realize that the "Dream of Equality" is a reality now. Work hard to make the rest of your dreams come true - Did Black History month ever give anyone the key to their dreams? Americans do it every day of the year.

• Racist Month. Period.

Why should there be a black history month when there is no month for any other race? No one race should be above the others. Equality, not this. We need to end racism, not disguise it and feed it to the next generation. We are ALL Americans. Let's make a month for that.

• No it was long ago

No we should not celebrate black history month as it was long time ago. We should forget about black history month and to be honest no one really cares about this topic anymore and it people do not care about celebrating it . Well some people care but not all people care about it.

• No we should not celebrate black history month

We should just celebrate all races history into one month, that way no race is left out and it should be on a different month because February is the is a short month so it would make more sense to have it on a longer month so we can celebrate all the races in one month.

• Equality for everyone

I personal don't have an issue with celebrating ethical or cultural backgrounds, but as a white male I feel it would be unacceptable within today's society to celebrate white culture or the history of white background(s). And in fact I would go as far as to say if I suggested such an idea in an open arena I would be labelled as a racist. This is not equality this is oppression in a sense of oppressing white peoples freedom to express themselves by celebrating their own historical background (right or wrong for better for worse it's still there history) plus it leads to less informed people (generally young males) to turn to organisations such as the EDL or BMP who are racist groups. Only if events such as Black History Month was not forced upon others then I believe ethnic groups would show more interest in the subject, combined that with equal celebrations I think different ethnic groups would be more integrated and cohesive.

• White history month

I believe it only promotes reverse racism in this day and age. If someone proposed a white history month they would be labelled a racist. How then is it acceptable to have an entire month set aside to show the accomplishments of one ethnic group. It is a double standard to promote one race over another.

• It fuels racism

Having different holidays specifically for any race just helps to fuels the racism. We need to take down the racial barrier not celebrate any one race but human kind as a whole. So lets get rid of black history month and change it top a month for celebrating the history of humans as a whole.

• Nope. Black History Month is absolutely pointless and a waste of time.

Why should we have a month out of the year where we have to listen to black people whine and bitch about things that happened literally in none of their lifetimes? It's stupid that anyone has to pay for what their ancestors did. Guess what, blacks: Your own people sold you into slavery. Why not go screech at them for a while?

People who think they're entitled to something because their ancestors were segregated or abused is complete and utter bullshit. Not only that, white people were also segregated. Irish and Scottish sent to America were forced into slavery. Don't act like it's just the darkies that were forced into slavery. EVERYONE was a goddamn slave. You're not special because you blend into the night sky. You're not special because you light up like a christmas tree when it hits midnight because you're so pasty white. NOBODY deserves to have an entire month of dedication to their race.

• No, there should not be a Black History Month.

Yes, black history month shows the struggle African-Americans went through in the US. Did white people go through struggle too? Did Native Americans? Hispanics? Asians? If there was a White History Month, a strong majority of those supporting BHM would be against and possibly protest it. All the month truly does is protest racism.

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...