• Yes We Should

Black History Month should definitely be recognized and celebrated. There are many African Americans that did great things and had big contributions in our society. Many of these individuals do not get the credit they deserve or get mentioned enough as they should be. Black History Month provides an opportunity for that to happen.

• Yes We Should

In an ideal world, equal time would be given to every aspect of history. We aren't there yet, though, and as such it's still important to make sure we're recognizing important black figures. Additionally, black Americans traveled a very specific path towards freedom and this month serves as a reminder to all Americans where we came from.

• IN AN IDEAL WORLD

Yes We Should In an ideal world, equal time would be given to every aspect of history. We aren't there yet, though, and as such it's still important to make sure we're recognizing important black figures. Additionally, black Americans traveled a very specific path towards freedom and this month serves as a reminder to all Americans where we came from.

• Very Important month

How can we not celebrate Black History month when every other month is white history, present and future. We have to honor our heroes who fought for us to have the right to attend the same schools as white people, who fought for our rights to vote, who fought for our self confidence. After all we didnt ask white people to force us out of our own land to become slaves to theirs. That being said, black people are still experiencing mental slavery as a result of many years of oppression. Our Heroes left a legacy and died for our rights so what are the new generation of black people doing to elevate what was started. Blacks are too soft and content these days. We are not free yet, we are not considered equal yet, we still have lots of work to do so lets get together and get ours.

• Yes, it is an educational matter.

At least in the schools, there is still a need to celebrate black history month. Given our awful history of slavery in the United States, we need to stop and remember the contributions of a people who emerged to show their drive, gifts, and talents. Our children especially need to know this so that bigotry will get eradicated.

• Yes we should

We should celebrate black history month because this is the day most African American can celabrate the day they were able to live the way they were not allowed to live in those years. They were used as servents and slaves, not able to have the life they dreamed for their children to live. I agree it should be celabrated. And for all you other white men and weman dont be upst becuase they are celabrating the day you guys were turned down and had to follow the rules that were made for you to live an equal life.

• White History Month?

People's usual argument against Black History Month is "What about a White History Month?" Um...Did you go to school. Every month is pretty much white history month! You learn a very Eurocentric view of history, ignoring everything that came before the Greeks and everything that isn't European...Unless Europeans went there. You learn all of British History but when do they teach about the Song and Tang dynasties in China? Or the Abbasid empire of the Middle East? Or the great and rich empires of Benin, Mali, and Ghana in Africa? Black History Month is needed and will continue to be needed until America decides that American History doesn't equal White History...Cause that is where we are right now.

• It is Still Important

As a K-12 student, I learned about MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and Harriet Tubman. These lessons lasted for about a week and happened every year from kindergarten to 8th grade. In high school, I read Roots by Alex Haley and poems by Phyllis Wheatley, the first Negro woman -and slave- to have her work published. I read speeches and stories by African-Americans whose biographies and accomplishments I can now roll off without a moment's notice. However, the lessons I learned I taught myself. My parents were old enough to remember the Jim Crow South; my father had to change trains when he went to North Carolina as a child and my mother's friends were some of those students who started the sit-in is Greensboro, NC. I didn't learn from my teachers, which I would have loved. Now that I'm an English teacher, I let my students know about African-American authors, actors, singers, etc who contributed to blazing a trail for all people who were discriminated against.

• Yes we shall continue

I say yes because even though i wasn't born back then i know a lot about this. We pretty much celebrate white history month all year. Why can't we celebrate black history month all year. All the things african americans did for us shows alot but the white people just treat us like slaves. Thats not how we really are

• Yes...Our nation recognizes Hispanic,native Americans and women month why exclude African Americans

We celebrate Hispanic month native Americans and woman's month.I don't see why we shouldn't celebrate Black History.The library of Congress set this observation of Black History month in place so we should respect that. They feel its necessary to observe Hispanic, Native American, Womans month and BLACK history month too...And so do I.

• Racist Month. Period.

Why should there be a black history month when there is no month for any other race? No one race should be above the others. Equality, not this. We need to end racism, not disguise it and feed it to the next generation. We are ALL Americans. Let's make a month for that.

• No. Absolutely not.

The same people who support black history month would not support White power month or Aryan pride day. This shows a preference for one race over another which is the very definition of racism. The idea of little white boys and little white girls joining hands with little black boys and little black girls is based on color blindness which will not be served by promoting the black race above all others.

• White history month

I believe it only promotes reverse racism in this day and age. If someone proposed a white history month they would be labelled a racist. How then is it acceptable to have an entire month set aside to show the accomplishments of one ethnic group. It is a double standard to promote one race over another.

• Promote color blindness

The best outcome for all of us is to promote color blindness. A hero is a hero, regardless of race, gender or creed. Anything less than that creates a differentiating of people based on birth. This will always lead to hard feelings and issues. I am not aware of an oriental or white hero day and that causes resentment. Or a female hero day!

• If we're all equal, why do they get a whole month dedicated to them?

If everyone is truly equal, why does one ethnic group get an entire month dedicated to them?
    If there is indeed a Native American's month, Hispanic's Month, and Women's Month (as some comments here state), I have never heard of them in my LIFE, yet there are giant posters saying "BLACK HISTORY MONTH" all over my school - as there always are in February.
    If everyone wants to be thought of as equals, they need to start acting like it.

• Black History is American History

Black History Month is a poor excuse for a dedication to African American people in history. If the African American people in history made differences in America, it should be considered AMERICAN history and shouldn't just be taught in the shortest month of the year as a tribute to their skin color.

• Just say no.

Equality means "Of the same Value." By relegating the month of February to be a month where Black History is prevalent, we are by definition making the topic biased. This Bias says that for this period of time, ANY other groups history isn't as important as black history. This is racial inequality. I don't believe the Black Leaders of the civil rights movement wanted a month where civil rights and equality could be remembered - I think they were fighting for equality in everyday life. I believe in equality - I have for my entire life - I don't believe the advent of Black History month makes reparations for the past conflicts of racism, but I don't feel reparations are even possible in this day. I feel it's every citizen's right and duty to stand up and say, "I am an American - just like all the other other Americans I meet every day - no matter their race, background, or color of their skin. We are all equal."
    So get up, be an American, stand equally with your brother and sister Americans, and realize that the "Dream of Equality" is a reality now. Work hard to make the rest of your dreams come true - Did Black History month ever give anyone the key to their dreams? Americans do it every day of the year.

• It fuels racism

Having different holidays specifically for any race just helps to fuels the racism. We need to take down the racial barrier not celebrate any one race but human kind as a whole. So lets get rid of black history month and change it top a month for celebrating the history of humans as a whole.

• No, Combine all history.

I don't think we need to celebrate an entire month for a single race of people. Combine black history with every other history and teach American history, not race history.
    I support black history, but we as Americans need unify our history and stop trying to show everyone else that each race has more challenges than the next.

• No. It is a perpetuation of segregation.

What is a black hero? Is he not simply a hero? I certainly don't think of Abraham Lincoln as a white hero who should only be especially celebrated during a white history month. Maybe we should have equality celebration month, or civil rights for all month, but certainly we should not have specifically black history month. Celebrating one group's accomplishments places them as superior to other groups. And, if we single out blacks, who will stand up for the Native American Indians' rights and culture, another group whom America has persecuted for centuries?

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...