• Yes We Should

Black History Month should definitely be recognized and celebrated. There are many African Americans that did great things and had big contributions in our society. Many of these individuals do not get the credit they deserve or get mentioned enough as they should be. Black History Month provides an opportunity for that to happen.

• Yes We Should

In an ideal world, equal time would be given to every aspect of history. We aren't there yet, though, and as such it's still important to make sure we're recognizing important black figures. Additionally, black Americans traveled a very specific path towards freedom and this month serves as a reminder to all Americans where we came from.

• IN AN IDEAL WORLD

Yes We Should In an ideal world, equal time would be given to every aspect of history. We aren't there yet, though, and as such it's still important to make sure we're recognizing important black figures. Additionally, black Americans traveled a very specific path towards freedom and this month serves as a reminder to all Americans where we came from.

• Very Important month

How can we not celebrate Black History month when every other month is white history, present and future. We have to honor our heroes who fought for us to have the right to attend the same schools as white people, who fought for our rights to vote, who fought for our self confidence. After all we didnt ask white people to force us out of our own land to become slaves to theirs. That being said, black people are still experiencing mental slavery as a result of many years of oppression. Our Heroes left a legacy and died for our rights so what are the new generation of black people doing to elevate what was started. Blacks are too soft and content these days. We are not free yet, we are not considered equal yet, we still have lots of work to do so lets get together and get ours.

• Yes, it is an educational matter.

At least in the schools, there is still a need to celebrate black history month. Given our awful history of slavery in the United States, we need to stop and remember the contributions of a people who emerged to show their drive, gifts, and talents. Our children especially need to know this so that bigotry will get eradicated.

• Yes we should

We should celebrate black history month because this is the day most African American can celabrate the day they were able to live the way they were not allowed to live in those years. They were used as servents and slaves, not able to have the life they dreamed for their children to live. I agree it should be celabrated. And for all you other white men and weman dont be upst becuase they are celabrating the day you guys were turned down and had to follow the rules that were made for you to live an equal life.

• White History Month?

People's usual argument against Black History Month is "What about a White History Month?" Um...Did you go to school. Every month is pretty much white history month! You learn a very Eurocentric view of history, ignoring everything that came before the Greeks and everything that isn't European...Unless Europeans went there. You learn all of British History but when do they teach about the Song and Tang dynasties in China? Or the Abbasid empire of the Middle East? Or the great and rich empires of Benin, Mali, and Ghana in Africa? Black History Month is needed and will continue to be needed until America decides that American History doesn't equal White History...Cause that is where we are right now.

• It is Still Important

As a K-12 student, I learned about MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and Harriet Tubman. These lessons lasted for about a week and happened every year from kindergarten to 8th grade. In high school, I read Roots by Alex Haley and poems by Phyllis Wheatley, the first Negro woman -and slave- to have her work published. I read speeches and stories by African-Americans whose biographies and accomplishments I can now roll off without a moment's notice. However, the lessons I learned I taught myself. My parents were old enough to remember the Jim Crow South; my father had to change trains when he went to North Carolina as a child and my mother's friends were some of those students who started the sit-in is Greensboro, NC. I didn't learn from my teachers, which I would have loved. Now that I'm an English teacher, I let my students know about African-American authors, actors, singers, etc who contributed to blazing a trail for all people who were discriminated against.

• Yes we shall continue

I say yes because even though i wasn't born back then i know a lot about this. We pretty much celebrate white history month all year. Why can't we celebrate black history month all year. All the things african americans did for us shows alot but the white people just treat us like slaves. Thats not how we really are

• Yes...Our nation recognizes Hispanic,native Americans and women month why exclude African Americans

We celebrate Hispanic month native Americans and woman's month.I don't see why we shouldn't celebrate Black History.The library of Congress set this observation of Black History month in place so we should respect that. They feel its necessary to observe Hispanic, Native American, Womans month and BLACK history month too...And so do I.

• I’m Mexican last l

I’m Mexican and I really care about me Mexicans lol we Mexican Mexico has been exposed for the past two hundred months of this week but I gotta is it to josh and he is gonna he was a good night and I wanna know how much he is doing.

• No we should NOT

Just watch this short clip of an interview where this question was brought up to Morgan Freeman. He puts it very well, and it makes a lot of sense. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s . I have to write nineteen more words to finish this, but I think Morgan Freeman says enough so I’m not gonna my it o add to it.

• Defeats the purpose

We want to be equal but then we want a month devoted just to the African American race. Yes they went through many trials and tribulations and there are many hero’s that should be celebrated. However, we do not have a Native American month, an Irish American month (many came over as slaves check history), or even Chinese American month. I personally think designating an entire month hinders. Ultimately I just wish people could live by the golden rule of due unto others as you would want done to you. It’s simple let’s not be assholes, but alas there will always be differences.

• Um sorry but no.

If there isn't a "Asian history month" "Mexican history month" or a "white history month" then we don't need a black history month. We are all equal so its about time to stop playing the victim card. This is just my opinion and what i believe. Its okay to be anything not just black. Sorry not sorry.

• It shouldn't be a thing

We are constantly arguing that we need this and that that isn't necessary. Well this black history month isn't needed. We should celebrate our history as our own. The AMERICAN history, not segregate our histories when we don't have to, its a celebration that isn't needed. I think we should learn everything equally.

• Why is there not a Asian month? Why isn't there a Hispanic month? Why is there not a Caucasian month?

Why do we set an entire month of the year just to "celebrate" black people? America was built by Europeans who came here, declared independence, and fought the mighty Brits. Sure blacks picked the white mans cotton but now they are pretty much a drain on society. Look at any major city now and you can see blacks just sitting around doing nothing but collected their monthly check from the government. It took long enough for a black man to get elected at president.

• Being black is not a religion or means to be treated/celebrated differently.

The whole topic of black's rights through America's history centered around all races being treated equally. To have a month dedicated to the history surrounding blacks specifically is a segregating act in and of itself. In reality, all history is important. Race does not matter. If we teach history as only fragments or portions, the truth is lost or bastardized. So to have a month on only the history of blacks is one that harms all races. Stop thinking as race and begin thinking as citizens. Should we do that, we will cease with the talk on whose lives matter and instead say that we matter. Through such unity, a better future is birthed.

• I believe in the individual, that to say these people were great simply because they were black is false and only promotes seperation.

People need to understand that they aren't celebrating these people because they were fantastic individuals, they are celebrating them because they are... Black? Sure racism exists, but it's not like the general public is actively discriminating against african americans (there isn't any evidence you dimwits). I think it should be American History month, where we acknowledge great American individuals who contributed to growth and freedom.

• Great in theory, but I feel lately it can be divisive

Celebrating your background, culture, history, etc is great, something anyone and everyone should do. I applaud the intention behind it, and how people learn about those who were before them that paved the way to where they are today, something very good. However, I feel lately it has become another way of creating division and tension, thinking of things as black or white, etc. You don't hear much about Latin American/Hispanic history month, Asian history month, Native American history month, and never will hear white history month. Again, in theory, Black History Month is good, but I feel it ultimately makes us see skin color and race rather than people's character. We should love each other regardless of how we look or where we are from.

• It singles out

For example, at my school there aren’t many black kids. So when everyone is celebrating/talking about black history month and your one of the only black kids wouldn’t you feel different. Especially when you are a young kid going through middle school. It’s already hard enough to feel like you fit in on a daily basis.
    I also recently moved from Australia to America and we don’t celebrate black history month because it’s black history month in America. So maybe if they changed it to black history month for the world, it wouldn’t single people out as much.
    Except, then there’s another topic, why isn’t there a month for every other race?

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...