• What the heck!!!!!

Yes we should keep black history month because it is the only time when black people really get to learn their history, and if they take it away it would just be like it was back then and there would be even more racism.

P.S i am in fifth grade. I am mexican. I am 10 yers old and that is my opinion.

• Black History Month? Absolutely!

Without these 28 days devoted to learning about African Americans' contributions, sacrifices and accomplishments, all Americans won't know a large part of American history built on the backs of one of the most undervalued groups of people in the world. Knowing African-American history is knowing American history! It's a shame there is still a need to carve out a month to recognize what blacks have contributed to this country, but no one would know our story without a dedicated period of discovery. Heightened awareness makes us ALL (black, white, brown, yellow, red) more enlightened and who doesn't want to be more enlightened? Knowing what blacks have done for this country would do wonders in eliminating the ignorance of racism.

• More Black Recognition

There are so many things throughout the year the recognize things that the whites have done. Think about Thanksgiving for example. That day, while it may be filed with great food, family reunions, and wonderful laughter, that day is still remembered to some as the day the Pilgrims slaughtered the Indians. Christmas celebrates a man who most believe is white, dying for our supposed sins. There are many other things centered around the white community, so why can't the black community have a thing of their own? White cops, kill black people and rarely receive prosecution. Whites are running most of our legal affairs, our empires, managing our money, they're doing all these things, have all the things for them, so why should we give up the one thing that is truly ours? The one thing that actually helps ease our insecurities about being an African-American?

• Yes we should!

I think that we should have black history month because a lot of white people think why don't we have white history month? That's because white people started this state, but black people didn't so, basically we celebrate black history month because they made a change for racism. Yeah sure people don't think we should celebrate black history month, but black people helped create this state.

• Why black people need a month

Listen, giving blacks a month isn't saying support black icons for one month then abandoning afterward. BHM gives a special focus on the black historical figures who've changed the world. Considering whites dominate history books for the other 11 months, BHM tells people, "hey, stop a pay special attention to a minority who had to fight their way out of slavery and civil discrimination." Saying we shouldn't give blacks MORE attention is honestly asinine.

• What the Heck???

I cam on this site expecting like, 99 percent yes. And what do I find? 64 percent! I mean, COME ON!!! Thank goodness there weren't any racist remarks! And for the people who think I'm crazy, the entire black population is on my side. I'd like to see you beat that!

• Why shouldn't we celebrate the achievement of our ancestors?

The answer to the question is the same repeated over and over again, Black History Month is antagonistic to other race of people. Well if other races feel threaten by our celebration no one stop them from creating one of their own. Think about it. Out of all the races in the world wasn't black people treated the worst and still today aren't we struggling to survive. Then please allow us to soak up our history so that we can use it to empower ourselves. Black people do not be mindful of what others have to say this is the time of year that we must stop to reminisce,plan and act on our desires to improve ourselves.I pray that the celebration of Black History Month will go on and on until every Black Person have fulfilled the purpose of its establishment.

• Key Parts of History Have Been White-Washed The Truth Will Help The Black Youth, In-turn Helping You

Ifind it ridiculous to ask this question considering everyday is White history month in this country, just like every channel is WET and every college is a HWCU white college. Are you people this simple? Can we not have one month? The shortest month of the year by design

The question is why do we start the celebration off every year with slavery and the Civil Rights movement, we as a people pre-date the both of these incidents. We didn't begin with slavery(speaking of slavery Blacks should know that we are not Slavs as in from Yugoslavia where the word slave comes from, we are not Europeans so we cannot be Slavs, our ancestors were prisoners of war and indentured servants, as well as prisoners) we only went through slavery. Why do we start off every year with Harriet Tubman and Martin Luther King Jr., whom I think was promoted by Whites because he was non-violent as opposed to Malcolm X. We adhered to Kings doctrine for 500 years throughout the slave fields and the Jim Crow, look where it got us, no where. Malcolm X' s and the Black Panther Party for Self Defense's "By Any Means Necessary" doctrine which arose in the late 60's proved to be what caused the Whites to step back with the mass harassment of the Jim Crow, KKK days.

Getting back on MY subject, why do we start off with Tubman and MLK?

Why not start off with the African Moors AKA the Blackamoors who civilized and ruled Southern Europe for 800 years? They were Black, it was history, Whites always lie and say the Moors were Arab, Arab is not a race, it is an ethnicity just like Spanish, the Moors accompanied Columbus on his voyage

Why do we never bring up Mansa Musa and Mansa Abukari II of the Malian Empire who sent a group of 200 out to see what was on the other side of the Atlantic in the 1300s? Only one ship returned of the four sent out.

Why do we never bring up the fact that not all Native Americans were from Siberia? Some of the Native Americans were Black Aborigines, as in Austrailian Aborigines, they're Black and they have their own version of the Black Panthers and the Black Power Movement. They don't care what Whites classify them as. As a matter of fact why were we never taught about these races? In school we were never taught about the original Polynesians, Hawaiians included, their royal family was Black, Aborigines, Melanesians, Micronesians, Negritos, none of them because they are proof that Blacks were sailing the world thousands to millions of years before them spreading civilization, we are native to every where. Why do we never discuss any of the Native Black populations in Asia?

They have separated, murdered, and white-washed genetic pools of Black people from all over the world. We are the original people, we are everywhere, there is no one way to be Black.

• It is for remembrance of the great African american leaders.

Black History Month is a special month to learn, appreciate, and celebrate the achievements of African American men and women throughout history. After all in the beginning, black history month has always been celebrated in February. The beginning of Black History Month started with an African American man named Carter G. Woodson. He was the son of former slaves, and was too poor to go to school as a child. Although he was not given the opportunity to enroll in school he taught himself the basics of a school education. Later at the age of 20, he went to high school and completed it all in just two years. Furthermore, he went to the University of Chicago and got a bachelor’s and master’s degree. At the age of 37 he earned a doctorate from the University of Harvard and was only the second African American to earn a doctorate from Harvard. Later, Woodson loved education so much that he pushed the limits of his hard-earned education and taught both in public schools and at Howard University. At the age of forty Woodson made a trip to Chicago to participate in a celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the end of slavery. Woodson loved the idea of black history and life so much that he became inspired and continued to study black history all year round. Nevertheless, before Woodson left Chicago, he and four others created the Association for the study of Negro Life and History. The next year Woodson believed and understood that all the textbooks at the time ignored the history and achievements of African Americans. Therefore, adding on to the journal created, Woodson promoted the idea of a “Negro History Week,” which was to be held during the second week of February. The idea was so great, that it spread all around the United States, and since there was enough resources and research, the ASNLH began to produce pictures, posters, and lesson plans to help teachers use the history and teach black history week in schools. Twenty six years after Woodson’s death, Black History week was expanded to Black History Month. Around the country Black History Month is always celebrated in February. However, what Black History Month truly is, is an African American history Month in America, and other countries for remembrance of the important people and events in the African history. It is celebrated annually in order to never forget the pass.

• Yes because it all came from the heart

I think we should because we should realise what people have done for a race o people to be free to be treated like normal people .Life's have had to give up their for freedom we would still be in racism today if is what not for strength ,pride and confident. My point is that we as a nation of people should be proud of what some people can do, but we should also as a community should take the mimic of word s and make fun of slavery and racism because back in the slavery days people would die to be in are pointing's. But we take advances of it and don't realise that we started form no where

• Racist Month. Period.

Why should there be a black history month when there is no month for any other race? No one race should be above the others. Equality, not this. We need to end racism, not disguise it and feed it to the next generation. We are ALL Americans. Let's make a month for that.

• No. Absolutely not.

The same people who support black history month would not support White power month or Aryan pride day. This shows a preference for one race over another which is the very definition of racism. The idea of little white boys and little white girls joining hands with little black boys and little black girls is based on color blindness which will not be served by promoting the black race above all others.

• White history month

I believe it only promotes reverse racism in this day and age. If someone proposed a white history month they would be labelled a racist. How then is it acceptable to have an entire month set aside to show the accomplishments of one ethnic group. It is a double standard to promote one race over another.

• Promote color blindness

The best outcome for all of us is to promote color blindness. A hero is a hero, regardless of race, gender or creed. Anything less than that creates a differentiating of people based on birth. This will always lead to hard feelings and issues. I am not aware of an oriental or white hero day and that causes resentment. Or a female hero day!

• If we're all equal, why do they get a whole month dedicated to them?

If everyone is truly equal, why does one ethnic group get an entire month dedicated to them?
    If there is indeed a Native American's month, Hispanic's Month, and Women's Month (as some comments here state), I have never heard of them in my LIFE, yet there are giant posters saying "BLACK HISTORY MONTH" all over my school - as there always are in February.
    If everyone wants to be thought of as equals, they need to start acting like it.

• Black History is American History

Black History Month is a poor excuse for a dedication to African American people in history. If the African American people in history made differences in America, it should be considered AMERICAN history and shouldn't just be taught in the shortest month of the year as a tribute to their skin color.

• Just say no.

Equality means "Of the same Value." By relegating the month of February to be a month where Black History is prevalent, we are by definition making the topic biased. This Bias says that for this period of time, ANY other groups history isn't as important as black history. This is racial inequality. I don't believe the Black Leaders of the civil rights movement wanted a month where civil rights and equality could be remembered - I think they were fighting for equality in everyday life. I believe in equality - I have for my entire life - I don't believe the advent of Black History month makes reparations for the past conflicts of racism, but I don't feel reparations are even possible in this day. I feel it's every citizen's right and duty to stand up and say, "I am an American - just like all the other other Americans I meet every day - no matter their race, background, or color of their skin. We are all equal."
    So get up, be an American, stand equally with your brother and sister Americans, and realize that the "Dream of Equality" is a reality now. Work hard to make the rest of your dreams come true - Did Black History month ever give anyone the key to their dreams? Americans do it every day of the year.

• It fuels racism

Having different holidays specifically for any race just helps to fuels the racism. We need to take down the racial barrier not celebrate any one race but human kind as a whole. So lets get rid of black history month and change it top a month for celebrating the history of humans as a whole.

• No, Combine all history.

I don't think we need to celebrate an entire month for a single race of people. Combine black history with every other history and teach American history, not race history.
    I support black history, but we as Americans need unify our history and stop trying to show everyone else that each race has more challenges than the next.

• No. It is a perpetuation of segregation.

What is a black hero? Is he not simply a hero? I certainly don't think of Abraham Lincoln as a white hero who should only be especially celebrated during a white history month. Maybe we should have equality celebration month, or civil rights for all month, but certainly we should not have specifically black history month. Celebrating one group's accomplishments places them as superior to other groups. And, if we single out blacks, who will stand up for the Native American Indians' rights and culture, another group whom America has persecuted for centuries?

Jtevans70 says2017-02-26T13:04:19.237
I'm always reminded of just how messed up the world is. Every year without fail, at least two to three very perturbed and ignorant persons will ask me, "why do black people need to have a whole month to celebrate their history; no one else gets a whole month to celebrate their history..."

The questioning is truly telling of who the person is and what they really think of black Americans, because "Black History Month" is only "28 days long" actually making it the shortest nationanally celebrated heritage month for any group of Americans.

Here are other national celebrations of Americans heritage, on average lasting 31 days long:

March (31 days)
Women's History Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
Irish-American Heritage Month

April (30 days)
Sikh Heritage Month

May (31 days)
Asian & Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month

June (30 days)
Gay Lesbian Pride Month
Caribbean-American Heritage Month

September 15 - October 15 (31 days)
Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month

October (31 days)
Italian-American Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American History Month
Muslim Heritage Month

November (30 days)
Native-American Indian Heritage Month
Alaskan Native Heritage Month

Oddly, none of these other group of celebrated American heritage gets that same questioning of being too long nor told it's unimportant and irrelevant...