Should white-collar criminals be given special treatment in prison?

• White collar criminals should be given special treatment within prison.

The people who commit white collar crimes are criminals, true, but being thrown into an environment that emphasizes brute strength and cruelty, odds are that when these white collar criminals come out they will be much more likely to be violent, and why do we need more violent people in society. Anyways, white collar criminals may be cruel, but why on earth would we throw people who committed fraud in with monster killers and rapists.

• White collar criminals should be given some special treatment.

White collar criminals have committed no violent acts or dangerous crimes. Therefore, they should not be forced to mingle with murderers and rapists in the general population of a given prison. These are people with terrible morals, yes, but that wished no harm on anyone and simply made bad judgment calls often affected by greed.

Posted by: CurvyErich46
  • I think they should

I think they should be put to death. White collar embezzling and fraud on average do far more damage then most other forms of criminal activity. I also believe identity theft warrants a death penalty. I think a million dollars is a perfectly good reason to have someone strung up because of the economic damage

• White Collar Criminals are not the same as rapists and murderers.

Punishing criminals for the crimes they have committed is understandable. That is, assuming they are being punished for the crime they committed. Treating the same in prison as you do the other criminals is not rehabilitative. Forcing a grown man who is in prison for perjury to be treated the same as the pedophile in prison with him will do nothing to improve his behavior. If anything, it might make his behavior worse. White collar crimes are things like financial fraud and perjury. They should be separated from the molesters and thieves. Or, at the very least treated differently. We cannot expect rehabilitation without taking into consideration the crime committed and the punishment taking place.

• I feel like they do not deserve special treatment

They are criminals, criminals shouldn't be separated because of what they did. They are in prison for a reason, and that is because they broke the law. That is like saying rapists should get special treatment because it is not the same as murder. That doesn't matter, they did something they were not supposed to do.

• Double standard applied

My big grip about white collar crimes are the majority of them usually involve insider trading. This practice is still legal for members of congress, their families and staffers. When we have one set of laws that apply to all,maybe I will change my mind. Until then this, do as I say not as I do bull needs to be changed. Or do we send all of our elected officials to prision?

• There needs to be a distinction between violent and non-violent offenders.

The survey question is too broad. I think white-collar criminals should be grouped with other non-violent offenders like drug users and shoplifters and kept separate from rapists and murderers.

Prisons are costly and overcrowded. We should save prison time for criminals who are an actual danger to society and for repeat offenders who refuse to learn from their mistakes. There are many other ways to punish non-violent offenders such as restitution, community service, and house arrest. An ankle monitor is cheaper than a prison cell.

• Less likely to be violent

Compared to violent criminals, white collar criminals are less likely to cause trouble in prison, both for the guards and for other prisoners. Throwing them in a maximum-security jail, with rapists and murderers, is incredibly expensive. It is cheaper to put them in minimum-security jails where they are unlikely to cause much trouble. It's more cost effective.

• They should be

Because they aren't committing a crime like murder, rape, kidnapping etc. They are stealing money which yes, it is bad but not nearly as bad as defiling another human being and taking their, life, pride, or even their own dignity. Thats my oppinion on this situation of white collar crimes.

• Prison shouldn't be a luxury

They shouldn't criminals are criminals. Let them be held in prison with other criminals and maybe they will learn their mistake. I mean, that's what the prison system is about rehabilitation so let the system work it self out. Just because you stole millions of dollars without physical force doesn't mean you should be treated different.

• White collar criminals should not be given special treatment in prison.

The point of prison is to punish and rehabilitate people who have committed crimes. How are we supposed to give people special treatment in prison. You may argue that they have not done enough evil to be thrown with murderers and rapists but these people have learned to cheat our government and affect healthcare plans and banks and with that, that affects people's day to day lives and cause anxiety, bankruptcy, and death, also people's identities get stolen so yes i feel like if you get sent to prison you should serve your time and learn.

• White Collar Criminals should not be given special treatment

White Collar criminals should not be given special treatment in prison because they are just as criminal as the next person. Depending on what they may have done, could have seriously impacted the U.S. economy, ended jobs, and ruin families. A rapist may have traumatically hurt somebody and their family, while committing a white collar crime could have ruined someones career, drastically effecting their lifestyle. I'm not saying these crimes are the same but, they have some similar characteristics and the rapist or murderer shouldn't get worse treatment than the white collar criminal.

• White Collar Criminals don't deserve special treatment

White Collar criminals affect people and families just like blue collar criminals. They can destroy lives and careers for the intent to better themselves just like a blue collar criminal would. White Collar criminals do an act that will affect other people so they should be treated like a criminal.

• No, they shouldn't be given special treatment

These white collar criminals have ruined peoples' livelihoods, Embezzled money, and lied to the people who were investing in their company. If you think about all the lives that were ruined after the Enron case; the people responsible for these workers losing their jobs, their marriages, losing their life savings, and even killing themselves should be treated like murderers .

• I do no think white collar criminals should be given special treatment

You commit a crime you should be obligated to do the punishment. White collar criminals are still criminals regardless of the type of crime. They don't deserve special treatment because they wear a nice suit to work. If you are capable of committing a crime you are capable of doing the time in jail for your actions

• Why would someone that committed a crime be treated differently.

I believe that a law that is broken. Should be punished as everyone else. Why treat someone that has lied to the government differently? This is a moral dilemma that does will be on debate. Because everyone should be treated the same. A is a crime no matter what. It should the treated as so. Violent or White collar "criminals". Have to be treated the same.

• White Collar Criminals should be treated the same as normal citizens

White collar crimes and blue collar crimes are just as dangerous as street crimes, if not more dangerous because how blue/white collar people feel they shouldn't be treated and punished the same as other citizens. They get away with horrible crimes that people like me would never get away with.

• White Collar Crimes Kill People Too

Think ENRON, the economic recession and wake up. People die when their financial lives are destroyed. White collar criminals can rot in hell next to "Bubba" in their cells. Knowing they are going to get raped instead of playing tennis in minimum security is fine by me. I would like to see white collar crimes classified as violent because they destroy lives too.

>