Opinion Question
Argument
Posted by:

Zoos are businesses that are made for money.

• Zoos have birds who cannot fly, and tigers who cannot hunt. Surely you can learn more about wild animals by watching them in their natural habitat. • It is hard to see how looking at caged animals can teach us anything about their lives in the wild. • An earlier study found that only 2% of the world’s 6,000-plus threatened or endangered species were registered in zoo breeding programs. It is clear from these statistics that zoos actually do very little to help save the world’s endangered animals. • Some people say that animals in zoos are well looked after and are happy and contented. But wild animals need their freedom, and don’t enjoy captivity. No matter how well their keepers care for them, many suffer because they are not suited to living in a cage, tank or enclosure.
CupcakeLove says2013-04-14T18:40:21.067
You say that some people say that "animals in zoos are well looked after and are happy and contented", you are right about that but then you said "But wild animals need their freedom, and don’t enjoy captivity". How do you know? How do you know that the animals aren't happy? People have there own opion and so do animals, since animals have thoughts and opions you can't speak for them.
Anonymous says2013-05-09T07:12:20.383
Well if you ever owned an animal cupcake love you u know how they feel just by the look of thier face or actions !!
sunbleachedgold says2014-02-07T20:29:12.283
If she cant speak for animals neither can you cupcake. You don't know if they're happy or sad in captivity. But judging by tragic encounters, its better if they don't. But if they're injured to no return, they are okay in captivity. Mainly it depends on the situation, correct?
LimPin says2014-08-06T09:15:18.387
I have to admit, this is one of the best post I've ever seen. No jokes. I am amazed how this super intelligent person has come up with this valuable information! Keep rocking up! Make the party stay alive!

Thx all

LimPin :)
Dannelboyz says2015-02-08T13:27:25.930
"Zoos have birds who cannot fly, and tigers who cannot hunt."
I personally disagree with the clipping of wings that occurs in some zoos and it is something that is not necessary for birds held in captivity. Tigers are only unable to hunt in captivity because live feeding is banned/frowned upon. That's hardly the zoo's fault. However, hunting itself is a very dangerous thing. Yes, it's natural and tigers are designed to do it, but they do so for survival. Throw fresh meat to wild tigers and they wouldn't bother hunting.

"Surely you can learn more about wild animals by watching them in their natural habitat. It is hard to see how looking at caged animals can teach us anything about their lives in the wild."
Maybe, but that is not possible for everyone and there are plenty of things that can be learned in captivity. Zookeepers often talk about the animal's natural behaviours and zoo signs describe what the animals are like in the wild. Zoo research is a huge contribution to the knowledge we have of animals. You can't always get up close to a wild lion to study it, but in a zoo, you can measure its heart rate, its gestation period and many other aspects of its physiology. Much has been learned about animal reproduction, diet and behaviour through zoos, even if much of what they do in captivity is 'unnatural'. I have never seen a wild giraffe, but through a zoo, I learned that giraffes can move their blood vessels underneath the dark spots to keep warm. I have never seen a wild orangutan, but through a zoo I learned that they are struggling in the wild because of palm oil plantations replacing their natural habitat.

"An earlier study found that only 2% of the world’s 6,000-plus threatened or endangered species were registered in zoo breeding programs. It is clear from these statistics that zoos actually do very little to help save the world’s endangered animals."
That is 120-plus animals that zoos are saving. Meanwhile, animal rights activists do virtually nothing to combat extinction. I can think of plenty species off the top of my head that would be dead without zoos. American bison, California condor, red wolf... Need I continue? Zoos also spark interest and raise funds for animal conservation, help in conservation-based research and educate the public about the need for conservation. Captive breeding and reintroduction is actually only a small part of the conservation work that zoos do.

"Some people say that animals in zoos are well looked after and are happy and contented."
Animals usually are well-looked after (better than their care in the wild at least) and it isn't really possible to measure an animal's happiness, but if it was, I doubt very much that an animal would be unhappy because of their captive treatment. The wild isn't really a happy place either.

"But wild animals need their freedom"
Yes, so let's stop poaching, deforestation and disease instead of fighting zoos. Zoos are a gateway to future freedom.

", and don’t enjoy captivity. No matter how well their keepers care for them, many suffer because they are not suited to living in a cage, tank or enclosure."
Animals are naturally suited to their wild environments indeed but many animals in captivity were born there and are no longer suited to a life in the wild. What do you mean by animals not being suited to living in an enclosure? What about an enclosure is not suitable for an animal? The climate? Temperature? Natural-ness of the enclosure? These things can be fixed in a zoo if enough effort is put in. Space? Animals only need space in the wild because they need food and resources, not because they desire it. I find this argument rather flawed anyway because animals suffer in the wild too, despite being "suited" to their natural habitats.
gottaloveagooddebate says2017-01-20T03:19:46.613
Well... How else do you expect them to get the money to pay for the animals