Should you sacrifice your life to save someone else's?

• You don't have to want to die to sacrifice youself.

I am a full-time EMT and a volunteer Firefighter. I have based my life around helping others. In my opinion any Firefighter(or EMT) who won't put it all on the line to make sure everyone goes home does not belong in the brotherhood(this goes for police and military as well). However make no mistake I just as willing to take a life. I got my CCW(concealed weapon permit) not really protect me, but the people around me. I hope I never even have to draw my weapon, but in the end if need arises I will without hesitation. I'm not afraid to die, because I have made peace with the world. I have seen so much pain, suffering and death. I help people so they may have a happier(because better is subjective) life than I did.(just a note I am 21 years old at the time of writing this) I also need to say I'm willing to do near suicidal acts to help/save people. If you have not picked up on this my propose in life is to help others. In summary do I want to die, no. Would a give my life to save someone even a total stranger, in a heartbeat.

• Always do it to save others

If there is any need for self sacrifice.If it's the way of saving others in a dire situation I would do it gladly.Sacrificing yourself for helping other people is a bliss you will only experience once and it has a feeling that is indescribable. Sacrificing yourself to help others this is how the heroes have always done the work it's the way for making the world better

• No second thoughts

Sometimes, I feel like my life has no meaning to it, that I'm not of worth to anyone. And that's ok. I will live my life protecting others, and I'll die protecting others as well. Just because I lead a miserable life, doesn't mean others have to as well. I've considered myself dead since a long time ago. This life is merely a vessel for me to fulfill my ideals, that is to protect the people around me. Even if I am to die protecting someone I cherish, I'd do it with a smile on my face.

• I will for anyone

What is the meaning to life?! I would take a knife to the heart to save the ones i love, including my friends, i don't want to see my best friend taking a bullet for me, it would be too painful to watch....I don't want to be seen as someone who watched their friend die!

• Life has no value.

My life has no value. I live, eat, listen, breath but there is no meaning in it. Thing that makes life precious is love. And person whom i love has a cancer. And i would do everything to save her. Even the final sacrifice- life for life. But there is nothing i can do. I cant cure her.

• If the situation calls for it yes.

Life in general in precious, there is too much hate and anger in the world. There needs to be some good in the world. So yes I would and have risk my life to save a total stranger, if I lost my life to save another then I'd die a happy man. Hopefully that person lives to make a difference in the world.

• I would do it

I would save the person, the person kay be born to do great things while ourselves are doing nothing to help the world so why should
    we stop them from helping the world and if they're then we should a least die knowing the our life wasn't boring and it was worth something we help a man lived aleast be grateful....

• I would do it

• For a loved one.

I would absolutely forfeit my life for my wife and she would do the same for me. When I love someone, there's nothing I wouldn't do for them. It was the same when I was in the army. If I went to combat, I would've gladly laid down my life to save my brothers in arms.

• Yes, I do believe sacrificing is normal in everyday life.

I do believe sacrificing is in everyday life, a example could be Jesus dying on the cross, he died for his people and to meet his father God in heaven. A contemporary issue could be the story of the man who fell into the tube tracks, a man jumped down saved his life and nearly died himself.

• No, Life is important

What's the point of being born if you can sacrifice your life anyway. It is really unfair to sacrifice your own precious life. Life is the most important thing in the world. This might seem a bit selfish but your own life is valuable as the person your sacrificing for.

• Why should I die to save another's life? Isn't my life just as valuable as theirs?

In a lot of action movies, there is one character who sacrifices his or her life to save another. We then ask ourselves, "Would I do the same thing if I were that character?" I never had answered yes to the question. I know I would try my best to survive rather than being a hero by saving others. You might say this is not a thing to be proud of- I am quite sure that some would think this is a shame. However, I don't think the same. Why should I die to save another's life? Isn't my life just as valuable as theirs?

• You are not obligated to sacrifice yourself; the choice is yours and yours alone.

The question is wrong; it should be "would." We are not given the task of saving others because, really, we are all alike. We can't save anyone without losing ourselves in the process, and even if we try, it is not guaranteed that we can succeed. We say it's the effort that counts, and I agree, but the question is just wrong. Overall, the sacrificing your life for others is your decision to make and only yours to make.

• No never

One's life is more precious than anything else in the world. Would losing that other person in your life be so life changing that you absolutely cannot live without them? We are not born to give up our lives for the sake of other people, but to live, be fed, and feed ourselves to our superior in the food chain.

• Only if you’re ready.

If you are ready/prepared, to make that choice, then it’s the right thing to do- if you are not, it will not be worth it. It is just like suicide, in that there’s no second chance- no opportunity to reconsider your fate. It would be a definitive, and final, act of life.

• You genuinely don't deserve to die like that

It seems selfless people get the short end of the stick. Don't get me wrong, it is not good to be greedy, but if you are actually willing to do that for someone you really love, you absolutely do not deserve to die because of it. Sounds a little like punishment. So, selfless people will die and selfish ones will live, because THAT'S the type of society people want to live in.

• No not ever

The life of a stranger has no value to me. I would kill entire nations before ever hurting someone I love. Let alone sacrifice myself for anyone else but my family. This doesn't mean that I dont care about other people. This means that if I don't know the person, I wont risk even a toenail for them.

• Your life is your priority

Your own self-care and self-protection are your own priority. This is not selfish this is important. Don't give your life up for anyone (including a child) because as horrible as this may seem you really need to take care of yourself first before you take care of others. 😊 😊

• Easier said than done.

I think we all want to answer yes to this question but if you really ask yourself deep down inside, would you really risk your life to save someone's life? Of course it's an easy answer when it comes to family and loved one, you would do it in a heartbeat. But a stranger or someone you know but not that deeply? That's the difficult part. I wanted to answer yes to this, because that is the person and values we all aspire to, to be "honourable" and selfless. However, I really sat down and imagined, if I would actually do it. And it's sad to say that in reality most of us wouldn't. If there is a tsunami approaching and someone is stuck under a large item and can't move. I would surely try my best but only as far as I know I can get away in time as well. There would come a point where it is futile to try and save them and then risking your life would have been worthless. Or how about taking a bullet for someone? Would you do it? I imagined what I would think in those last few moments and I would think about my family, my parents, my partner and how I have the option (and opportunity) to survive and be reunited with them. Unfortunately, I would choose that. It makes me feel guilty to say it but should I feel guilty for wanting to survive and live out my life with my loved ones when I have the chance?

• My life matters too.

It depends on whose life i am saving by giving mine. If it was my children, then yes definitely. But I would not take myself from my children and cause them the pain that comes with losing their mother. That is not fair to them or me. Why should I give my life for someone who i do not know? What makes their life more important than mine? It would kill me knowing that I could have saved someone else, but it would kill my family knowing I gave my life to keep their family from feeling the pain that they are now feeling.

>