Smaller schools better than larger schools: Do you make more friends in smaller schools?

• You see people more

In my experience, you make more friends at a small school than a large school. I started my college career at a very large school where I had a few close friends who lived on my dorm. I met lots of people, but because the school was so large, I never saw many of them more than once. I finished at a small school where I had many friends because I saw people everywhere and got to know them better.

• Smaller schools have groups

From the perspective of the insider: When you’re new, Everybody knows you, The school is small, There aren’t a lot of classes. When you’re new, Everybody knows who you are within the first few days. They see you in the hallways, They see you walking to lunch, They see you at your locker, And based on the type of people you interact with, It can make them turn away from you in a second. For example, Me and my friends prefer befriending the quiet, Shy types. Or someone that’s just plain nice! If we notice you’re talking to one of the “snobby” kids, Or someone we don’t go well with, We turn away from you within a second. We have specific groups in small schools, So it’s harder to make friends. No one really approaches you, Or really tries to be your friend, You have to approach them, And you have try befriending them. Depending on the people you choose, They will either 1, Befriend you, 2, Befriend you and talk bad about you, 3, Cringe and turn away.

• Only if they’re your type of people.

When you’re in a small school, there are less different types of people. So most people will end up falling into one sort of category. My school has mainly jocks and image-obsessed instagram hoes. I’m neither. But, if you are in one of those categories, you can befriend all of them. If you aren’t, well, your screwed. It instensifies peer pressure a lot and makes some really weird social dynamics. Basically nerd, outcast, and niche person hell.If you’re in a large school, odds are someone will be similar, right? Guess I’ll figure that out in 2 months when I go from an incredibly small middle school to a large high school.

• Smaller School Does Not Equal More Friends

Having attended nothing but small schools in my youth I can affirm that you do not make more friends in smaller schools. If anything, the smaller school setting made it easier for people to classify and segregate themselves and further develop cliques in order to exclude those people they were not interested in being around.

>