Opinion Question
Argument
Posted by:

Japan was about to surrender

Japan was about to surrender, see here http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v16/v16n3p-4_Weber.html as a matter of fact they had just recently installed a new government and the main election bid was to end the war with the allies. Japan wasn't full of mindless soldier - folk as the media has stereotyped it to have been - on the contrary, there were peace activists and it should be noted |that on January 20, 1945, two days prior to his departure for the Yalta meeting with Stalin and Churchill, President Roosevelt received a 40-page memorandum from General Douglas MacArthur outlining five separate surrender overtures from high-level Japanese officials." There is a real reason that the US dropped the atomic bomb - to prove to the Soviets that they had it and were willing to use it. And it work - a week after the bombs were dropped the Soviets declared war on Japan and showed solidarity with the allies.
debatercltnc says2013-02-15T12:31:45.300
I'd like to comment on your source, the Institute for Historical Review. I did a bit of searching within their website about them, just to see if they are a valid, unbiased source.

It's difficult to accept a "historical" website which believes the Holocaust was a hoax. Arthur R. Butz began his article "The Hoax of the Twentieth Century" with this:
"I see principal reasons for the widespread but erroneous belief in the legend of millions of Jews killed by the Germans during World War II".

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v11/v11p251_Butz.html
Numidious says2013-02-16T00:56:15.963
What you are essentially advancing here is an ad hominem argument, that is, the fact that the secondary source is biased (and I agree, holocaust denial is disgusting) means that ALL primary source facts it cites are invalid, but I think you will have a more difficult time refuting a newspaper from the time of the election of the Suzuki gov't - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2623297 it's an Australian paper calling the new Suzuki gov't a "peace" government
Numidious says2013-02-16T00:57:10.447
had I known that the secondary source was so disgusting and biased I would have taken more time to search for a primary source - but still my own points stand regardless of who else cited them
JaRamos says2013-03-04T19:02:22.640
The japanese didnt know what surrender was coming into the war. It boggled them that they seen americans surrendering. They were raised from childhood to fight and the only way to go was death.
Numidious says2013-03-07T18:03:00.817
but the new government was planning to create peace, because the myth of the Japanese in WW2 as mindless war machines is false - they realized that they were losing and were soon going to be open to peace negotiations
Picobill says2014-08-05T05:37:44.697
Then why did they make absolutely no reply to the Potsdam Ultimatum? Seriously their actual reply was Mokusatsu- a Japanese word meaning "to ignore" or "to treat with silent contempt" This is not the action of a Government seeking peace..
Charcharodon says2014-08-06T06:21:19.483
Your points are based on bias and alternative history. What new government are you talking about. The Japanese military was still in charge, and they were bound and determined to keep fighting despite the hopelessness of their situation. They would have wiped out many of their own people just to avoid the "shame" of surrender. Your argument stands upon pillars of sand, my friend. I've studied this war extensively and had access to various primary sources. After years of study, I can tell you that the bombings were necessary. It isn't something to be proud of, but it had to be done. I only pray that it will never be necessary again.
bosco3202 says2018-12-19T20:55:22.260
Surrender was the worst act of treason a soldier could commit!