Opinion Question
Argument
Posted by: JacobHammCSA

The Confederacy was most definitely the good guys in the Civil war.

Most people say the Confederacy was the bad guys because they hated Black people. That's not true. The Confederacy had many, many Black soldiers who WILLINGLY took up arms for the cause of Southern freedom. They were treated as well as the white soldiers, and were paid as much as they were due as according to their rank and status. They were respected, and treated well. The Confederacy waged war in self defense. The "Glorious" Union attacked us first. We were fighting in self defense. In defense of our freedom, our independence, and our great way of life. The tyrant, Abraham Lincoln, didn't even care about abolishing slavery. Jefferson Davis did however.
devin.cooper64 says2013-09-09T20:34:38.667
In a technical sense there was no good or bad in this war, more like an offense vs defense effect, the main idea was to get the confederacy back into the united states and for the confederacy was to establish their own nation.
Skeptikitten says2013-09-09T21:59:33.873
Yes- your "great way of life" with a slavery-based, antiquated one crop agricultural system and rigid social hierarchy.

And FYI- many Southern states seceded FIRST. The South also started the Battle of Fort Sumter, the opening battle of the Civil War. So claiming the North started the Civil War is just ignorant of actual history.
ScientificBeack says2013-09-09T22:19:43.953
" Most people say the Confederacy was the bad guys because they hated Black people. That's not true."

There isn't really a 'bad guy'. USA and CSA all had their own independent goals. They had different lifestyles, political systems, economic systems, and etc. However, the USA won because it had more troops and a better infrastructure, nuff sed.

"The Confederacy had many, many Black soldiers who WILLINGLY took up arms for the cause of Southern freedom."

Want to know why they did this? Because the CSA denied them freedom and basic human rights. It said if they fought, then they would be freed. Please either study this subject before ranting about it, or stop denying to yourself and fantasizing that African American soldiers in the CSA were fighting because they actually supporting Southern "freedom" (not freedom for them, ha!)

"They were treated as well as the white soldiers, and were paid as much as they were due as according to their rank and status."

Sources please to support this nonsense or the African American soldiers were mistreated, abused, sent out to the front lines first ("forlorn hopes" as the military refers to it), as well as unpaid or not paid at all, and not given enough rations.

"The Confederacy waged war in self defense. The "Glorious" Union attacked us first. We were fighting in self defense."

Yeah right. Who attacked who first? Want to learn about basic history? About Fort Sumter? Yep, that's right, the Union obviously attacked the Confederates first, especially when the fort was absolutely benevolent and the CSA began launching artillery fire at it without provocation.

Also, nice use of the word "us". You identify yourself as a Confederate? LOL! Please learn about the specifics of this nation, which is not half as rosy as you view it, before identifying yourself with it.

"We were fighting in self defense. In defense of our freedom, our independence, and our great way of life."

Yeah right. You denied your fellow African American humans their freedom and their independence, and yet you still dare to say you fought for your "freedom" and "independence". Hypocrisy much?

How about I turn you into an unwilling African American slave and place you into the middle of the Confederate States of America in the middle of the Civil War, and let's see what you say then.

"The tyrant, Abraham Lincoln, didn't even care about abolishing slavery. Jefferson Davis did however."

Since when did Jefferson Davis "care" about abolishing slavery? Hmm? The CSA practically went to war with the USA over this issue, over PROTECTING the right to own slaves. Meanwhile, Abraham Lincoln issued speeches such as the Emancipation Proclamation which were CLEARLY anti-slavery. LOL!

You sir, should probably go and learn basic history before ranting about something you clearly do not understand well. At all.
Erudito_Actual says2014-02-20T22:43:49.967
To ScientificBeack:
Do you LEGITAMATELY believe that ALL blacks were enslaved? There were many, MANY freedmen in the Confederacy. The all-too-common way of thinking is that White Confed= Negro hating nazi, and Black Confed= poor, defenseless Uncle Tom, and this is a corrupt way of thinking. Oh, and by the way, the Union had slave states too, but Lincoln just happened to ignore the slave states in his own country.
The main reason why the South broke away was because they wanted each state to handle matters themselves, instead of relying on a strong government that becomes nearly tyrannical.
It's because of this kind of sh*t that we rebelled against England.
ScientificBeack says2014-05-14T23:02:52.857
Tell you what, Erudito_Actual.

A bit late for this, as I went inactive for a while, but what you said is just so ridiculous that I cannot let you walk away without setting the truth straight.

So do I legitimately believe "ALL" blacks were enslaved? I don't know. You tell me. Tell me when I ever said I believed that.

I never said so. You're reading things in my argument that wasn't ever there in the first place. That's called straw-manning. Don't do it.

"this is a corrupt way of thinking"

You know what's a corrupt way of thinking? Your opinion of this is an example of one. I don't know where you learned history, but your claims that black soldiers were "paid the same wages as whites" and that the "Union attacked first" are absolute LIES. Now THAT's corruption.

Go learn history before ranting about it, because you clearly don't know anything about the American Civil War.

"the Union had slave states too...Lincoln just happened to ignore those"

Wrong. He didn't "ignore" them. He actually put a lot of thought into them. He was very appreciative of their decisions to stay in the Union and he was considerate of their opinions.

In fact at the beginning of the war, he specifically did not state that the Union was fighting against slavery, because he knew it would anger the border states. It was only after Antietam in 1862 that he announced the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves within rebelling territory (excluding the border states). That was the move that turned the Civil War into a war over slavery, and the border states fully participated in the war effort after that even though they knew it was endangering the future of slavery in the US.

"The main reason why the South broke away was because they wanted each state to handle matters themselves, instead of relying on a strong government that becomes nearly tyrannical. "

HAHAHA. Oh my god that was funny. You're talking about the Federal government being tyrannical, when many Southerners proudly owned slaves? Now THAT's tyrannical - exercising absolute, forced control over another human being's life and forcing them to do backbreaking labor in the fields so you can profit off it.

Don't even start about Lincoln being "tyrannical", because the practice of chattel slavery, which the South fully condoned, took pride in, and defended, is MUCH MORE tyrannical than anything the Federal government did prior to or during that war.
davidhuddleston15 says2014-11-15T07:38:02.160
I grew up in Arizona not the south, and despite being taught in school confeds were evil hicks whipping their slaves for the hell of it and Lincoln felt sorry for the poor black man and would fight for his beliefs, I decided for myself through research and common sense that the confederates were the heroes
T_SK says2015-07-07T04:47:44.807
This reply simply isn't true. The Confederates didn't have "many, many" black soldiers. In fact, it was illegal for blacks to be soldiers in the Confederate Army. And they executed or enslaved all black soldiers they captured along with all white officers captured while leading them. The Confederacy's ongoing murder and enslavement of POWs eventually caused the US to suspend all prisoner transfers mid-war.
higilmore says2015-11-24T22:49:34.130
If you guys could cite yourselves over your opinions that would be fantastic.
I apologize in advance, as my post is not for the unintelligent, impatient, and bigoted. It will require some reading.

The Civil War was definitely fought over state rights, now what state rights included is up to you.
I personally believe that a great deal of the state right issue came from the fact that the North wished to abolish slavery in the nation. The South argued that the constitution made no mention of slavery and that the tenth amendment allowed for them to decide.

A point that the federal government was tyrannical to the South is unfair, as it revolves around the South having to pay taxes for things that did not concern them.

This article confirms/rejects a great deal of the points made.
Http://www.Southernheritage411.Com/truehistory.Php?Th=052
I found it to be trustworthy.

It's arguable who attacked first. While the CSA clearly took the first shots, Fort Sumter was in Southern territory and had been given ultimatums to evacuate. Lincoln was trying to supply the fort.
This could be seen as an act of aggression by the North, making the attack a response and the North's fault.
Http://www.Civilwar.Org/battlefields/fort-sumter.Html

P.S. The Northerners were not a bunch of benevolent angels who loved blacks.
Http://quod.Lib.Umich.Edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?C=moa;idno=AJA2257

Blacks were definitely in the CSA army, and definitely treated much better.
Http://www.Theroot.Com/articles/history/2015/01/black_confederates_not_a_myth_here_s_why.Html

To say that the civil war was fought over slavery alone is a folly. I would argue that Abraham Lincoln was not an abolitionist at all. Mildly thinking something does not constitute that your willing to make any action towards it.
Http://www.Abrahamlincolnonline.Org/lincoln/speeches/greeley.Htm

Sure he said that he wished to free the slaves. I wish that I could go to the moon, but I'm never going to make any effort to do so. Does this make me an astronaut? Lincoln only cared about the Union. When an abolitionist mind-set dominated the North and it became evident that it was popular consent to emancipate the slaves, and that it would improve PR. Lincoln did not care one way or another.

If you were wondering, I believe the Unionists were the "good guys". I believe restoring the Union was the most important thing to the U.S.A.
The CSA would have crumbled soon anyways, as a confederate system does not work. Ie the first government of the US. The constitution was called the articles of confederation. The federal government quickly went bankrupt and it's fellow countries regarded it as a joke.
platy says2021-01-04T19:46:10.900
I totally agree with you. Some slaves were white to after all. If I say the earth is flat, And bob disagrees, And I punch him and win the fight, That doesn't make me right.