Would posting students' grades publicly in schools motivate them to perform better?

• Why would you not?

I believe you make what you make. If you are not smart enough to pass a class and every other student is, why should we not praise the kids who are doing well? Why stop the praise for the inability of another student who does not take his or her education seriously. Although, i believe this will be most effective in the high school level

• Creates more competition

Posting grades publicly in a classroom creates positive competition. There is no reward for being the best; this keeps students from doing anything to harm other students to be the best, but keeps the prestige of being the best in the system. Overall, such a concept is a great idea.

• Survival of the Fittest

Life has and always will be about survival of the fittest. Its human nature to compete and excel. When we thrust our younger generation out into these sheltered and nurturing schools not having a basic clue where they stand out in the real world we lose that potential, and we lose the efficiency we strive for to put society forward. For the greatest portion of our young lives we grow up not knowing what we want to do with our lives. We neglect our own beneficial effort and our parents and teachers have neglected the more efficient way to teach us responsibility. Kids in today's modern generations grow up lazy... They simply don't care. If a kid or young adult still cant find out who they are in the first few stages of their lives how will they truly find out for themselves that life 'actually' isn't all about their own wants and needs, but they can eventually develop into their own mindset where they feel helping others is actually beneficial towards themselves and come to the full conclusion that they are helping society as a whole. You see it all starts with the simple subject of posting grades up publicly through a "public school." We must challenge ourselves for the greater good. The public internet is no different of making a fool of ourselves than what our grades tell the few hundred students at a public school.

• Students need to take responsibility.

I've been teaching for 10 years and slowly witnessing the evaluation of teaching being passed onto the students. They take classes, and if they don't perform well they blame the instructor. Although there are always students that excel, some don't, depending on the subject matter. Students are being taught that they need to, and should, excel at everything. The fact is we are not all going to excel at everything we do. By posting grades, students can see that there are some subject areas they will excel in and some they may not. We need to stop sheltering young people and help them become more attuned to their strengths and weaknesses. It's OK not to be perfect!

On the other hand, students don't always start out putting in enough time or really approach their work from a good problem solving perspective . Posting grades can show them that putting in a bit more effort may just get them the results they seek.

• It would likely motivate students, however it is exploitation and should not be done in schools.

Schools do not possess the right to make a student's grades public to other students for any reason. While doing so would probably motivate students, it's still immoral and should not be allowed by the board of education in any area. So yes to the question, but no to actually carrying out the action.

• Yes. But context is important.

In assessing the educational needs of learners, particularly those from a poor background, we should not overlook the motivational impact of public competition. Learners need to understand competition is training for life and some learners will have to work harder than others if they want to get anywhere. The issue of whether displaying marks is morally favorable or not, should be reconsidered when it is a learner’s life success that lies in the balance.

• I would say yes and no to this.

Here are some couple reason why. I say yes, because this would allow for a person to work harder and this would help the person actually do the work and become more responsible to their assignments. Also kids would become more eager to learn and to progress by getting a higher grade.
    The other part I would say no, because some kids learn differently and should not be embarrassed. That could be the one of the reasons why kids do not like school. There are kids who have weaknesses and stronger in their work. Putting a kid's grade up that is a very low, can lead to self- confidence. Also people do not liked to be judged, and have to think if they are smart or not. I think that everyone is equal in their own way. ANA PLANES17

• Probably

People are inherently competitive, because in nature if you don't compete you die. I think that people would be motivated by knowing exactly where they stand in relation to everyone else, and they would probably be more inclined to try harder if they faced public humiliation for every failure they made.

• actually yeah

I would normally said no. But back in private school, my 6th grade teacher did that with homeworks. She had a big chart with all of our names and every time we didn't do out homework she would mark a dot next to our name. We became really competitive about that, never saw my classmates trying so hard to get their work done.

• This will increase competition in students.

If an F- student sees his grades posted right next to a straight A student's grades, he/ she will most likely start competing with that student and this will bring up the grades. In addition, the child will now understand competition and use it throughout his/ her life.

• You shouldnt post it

Posting someones score, If a student appears on the lowest tier of the ranks then the student will feel humiliated and just give up, Not all of the students are strong willed and some are weak hearted. Some students will feel pressured and depressed because of the pressure to be on the top in order not to be humiliated again.

• You shouldnt post it

• No wayy don't

No way ill die never post it i never excpeted my mom to post my 90/100 marks i got pissed because she did it never talked to her i hate it its not good for students just imagine you r driving with rules and soem, One very fast and speedy and a nice car pass by u that like atleast how they feel

• Pushed into stress

I would definitely say no. Because Every students mentality is not same. Out of 100 only 20 will accept it and take it as a challenge. While others feel really very bad on seeing their marks published and is pushed into stress. This stress will lead to more pain and less concentration in studies and even can result in suicide. Thus I strongly oppose it

• It motivates them

This does motivate us to pass because at our school when a learner passes well they get a pin for their hard work. Everyone wants to get that award or pin that rewards them for their hard work but the can only be one winner.What the teachers are doing is not right but a learner can learn from their mistakes and try harder to pass

• No no no

Humiliating someone isn't going to help them focus or to succeed In trying to do better. Posting someone's grade on the bulletin will just make them feel pressurized and worse on what their grades are. In order to prove a point to someone or push them to do better doesn't mean to point out their weakness as a joke. Instead their weakness should be acknowledge within themselves in understanding the effects if they do better. Now someone walking pass the hall and seeing their grades way lower then the rest ..OK? What difference is that going to make . Obviously the person knew they was going to do bad due to knowing the circumstances of their actions. You will just show them what they already know. You aren't helping them notice anything but to keep doing what they are doing .. As a college student or even a student in HS no one knows the stage of someone personal life. Posting there grades will just be humiliation and no type of motivation. I will honestly be like OK. And keep it moving . That's great that someone else got a higher grade than me what that has to do with me? . Tomorrow the person will come to school or go home with the same mentality they left their house with. Everyone is different in other words everyone learn differently .& just because she got a better grade them me doesn't mean I will wake up tomorow at 5 to me on time for class at 7. There's other ways someone can make someone acknowledge their weakness. Causing Humiliation just pushes them more to do what they please on doing on a regular then trying something new. Or even worst the person can begin feeling so down to the point of giving up. In order to make a change you need to understand what is going on. Some people don't notice their problem until someone tells them. And in this case someone isn't conversing to them about it just putting them in the hot seat. I disagree with this way and its a waste of time to point out someone's lows thinking it will make a god damn difference.If someone post it up your grade will that help you succeed in anyway? You walk to the bulletin board and see that 'Diana got a 90 while you got a 75 will that push yourself to try your hardest for your own good or just to be better then Diana?. What's the point if you still going to be following up what you do best because that is what your use to. You going to see a higher grade next time that you didn't even do to help yourself permanently in regards you did it just for the moment . Humiliate yourself and tell me what type of difference did it just made? ;)

• Posting should not be allowed

Humiliating someone isn't going to help them focus or to succeed In trying to do better. Posting someone's grade on the bulletin will just make them feel pressurized and worse on what their grades are. In order to prove a point to someone or push them to do better doesn't mean to point out their weakness as a joke. Instead their weakness should be acknowledge within themselves in understanding the effects if they do better. Now someone walking pass the hall and seeing their grades way lower then the rest ..OK? What difference is that going to make . Obviously the person knew they was going to do bad due to knowing the circumstances of their actions. You will just show them what they already know. You aren't helping them notice anything but to keep doing what they are doing .. As a college student or even a student in HS no one knows the stage of someone personal life. Posting there grades will just be humiliation and no type of motivation. I will honestly be like OK. And keep it moving . That's great that someone else got a higher grade than me what that has to do with me? . Tomorrow the person will come to school or go home with the same mentality they left their house with. Everyone is different in other words everyone learn differently .& just because she got a better grade them me doesn't mean I will wake up tomorow at 5 to me on time for class at 7. There's other ways someone can make someone acknowledge their weakness. Causing Humiliation just pushes them more to do what they please on doing on a regular then trying something new. Or even worst the person can begin feeling so down to the point of giving up. In order to make a change you need to understand what is going on. Some people don't notice their problem until someone tells them. And in this case someone isn't conversing to them about it just putting them in the hot seat. I disagree with this way and its a waste of time to point out someone's lows thinking it will make a god damn difference.If someone post it up your grade will that help you succeed in anyway? You walk to the bulletin board and see that 'Diana got a 90 while you got a 75 will that push yourself to try your hardest for your own good or just to be better then Diana?. What's the point if you still going to be following up what you do best because that is what your use to. You going to see a higher grade next time that you didn't even do to help yourself permanently in regards you did it just for the moment . Humiliate yourself and tell me what type of difference did it just made?

• Posting should not be allowed

• Posting grade does not motivate the student

• Nopeeeee no no

Will posting students’ grades on bulletin boards publicly motivate them to perform better or is it humiliating? I strongly disagree, a teacher’s job is to encourage a child and to put up something like that on social media can damage their self esteem. In a school were learned to respect others and if respect isn’t shown by that teacher by humiliating that child on social media it can cause them to drop out of school, stop performing and changing their willingness to learn. A teachers job is to give their students chances, let them learn from their mistakes, encourage them to continue working playing a great role in carrying moving them up the scale of learning, being a teacher you should know that, not everyone is a early developer everyone learns at their own time, if these grades are published on social media it can also look bad on the teacher also, cause it can indicate to some parents that the teacher is happy that their students is failing and it can indicate that the teacher is not teaching so that the students can be able to understand then implement. As the Minister of Education said “If the students fail, the teachers fail” so as a teacher you should not humiliate a student by posting their grades online, you should encourage them to continue working so at the end you can also feel proud and know that you have also produced achievers, and accomplished your goal.

>