Would posting students' grades publicly in schools motivate them to perform better?

• actually yeah

I would normally said no. But back in private school, my 6th grade teacher did that with homeworks. She had a big chart with all of our names and every time we didn't do out homework she would mark a dot next to our name. We became really competitive about that, never saw my classmates trying so hard to get their work done.

• This will increase competition in students.

If an F- student sees his grades posted right next to a straight A student's grades, he/ she will most likely start competing with that student and this will bring up the grades. In addition, the child will now understand competition and use it throughout his/ her life.

• Creates more competition

Posting grades publicly in a classroom creates positive competition. There is no reward for being the best; this keeps students from doing anything to harm other students to be the best, but keeps the prestige of being the best in the system. Overall, such a concept is a great idea.

• Survival of the Fittest

Life has and always will be about survival of the fittest. Its human nature to compete and excel. When we thrust our younger generation out into these sheltered and nurturing schools not having a basic clue where they stand out in the real world we lose that potential, and we lose the efficiency we strive for to put society forward. For the greatest portion of our young lives we grow up not knowing what we want to do with our lives. We neglect our own beneficial effort and our parents and teachers have neglected the more efficient way to teach us responsibility. Kids in today's modern generations grow up lazy... They simply don't care. If a kid or young adult still cant find out who they are in the first few stages of their lives how will they truly find out for themselves that life 'actually' isn't all about their own wants and needs, but they can eventually develop into their own mindset where they feel helping others is actually beneficial towards themselves and come to the full conclusion that they are helping society as a whole. You see it all starts with the simple subject of posting grades up publicly through a "public school." We must challenge ourselves for the greater good. The public internet is no different of making a fool of ourselves than what our grades tell the few hundred students at a public school.

• Why would you not?

I believe you make what you make. If you are not smart enough to pass a class and every other student is, why should we not praise the kids who are doing well? Why stop the praise for the inability of another student who does not take his or her education seriously. Although, i believe this will be most effective in the high school level

• Students need to take responsibility.

I've been teaching for 10 years and slowly witnessing the evaluation of teaching being passed onto the students. They take classes, and if they don't perform well they blame the instructor. Although there are always students that excel, some don't, depending on the subject matter. Students are being taught that they need to, and should, excel at everything. The fact is we are not all going to excel at everything we do. By posting grades, students can see that there are some subject areas they will excel in and some they may not. We need to stop sheltering young people and help them become more attuned to their strengths and weaknesses. It's OK not to be perfect!

On the other hand, students don't always start out putting in enough time or really approach their work from a good problem solving perspective . Posting grades can show them that putting in a bit more effort may just get them the results they seek.

• It would likely motivate students, however it is exploitation and should not be done in schools.

Schools do not possess the right to make a student's grades public to other students for any reason. While doing so would probably motivate students, it's still immoral and should not be allowed by the board of education in any area. So yes to the question, but no to actually carrying out the action.

• Yes. But context is important.

In assessing the educational needs of learners, particularly those from a poor background, we should not overlook the motivational impact of public competition. Learners need to understand competition is training for life and some learners will have to work harder than others if they want to get anywhere. The issue of whether displaying marks is morally favorable or not, should be reconsidered when it is a learner’s life success that lies in the balance.

• I would say yes and no to this.

Here are some couple reason why. I say yes, because this would allow for a person to work harder and this would help the person actually do the work and become more responsible to their assignments. Also kids would become more eager to learn and to progress by getting a higher grade.
    The other part I would say no, because some kids learn differently and should not be embarrassed. That could be the one of the reasons why kids do not like school. There are kids who have weaknesses and stronger in their work. Putting a kid's grade up that is a very low, can lead to self- confidence. Also people do not liked to be judged, and have to think if they are smart or not. I think that everyone is equal in their own way. ANA PLANES17

• Probably

People are inherently competitive, because in nature if you don't compete you die. I think that people would be motivated by knowing exactly where they stand in relation to everyone else, and they would probably be more inclined to try harder if they faced public humiliation for every failure they made.

• that's embarrassing

That would be humiliating. I mean what if they had something going on in their life at the time and their grades started to lip a little bit? That does not give you the right to post their grades on the wall of shame and let all of the kids go and be embarrassed of their grades. They could be going through a tragidy at home or something else to cause thew bad grades at school. But for you to go and post them on the wall publicly that's wrong in so many ways. So I offically vote no!

• Posting grades publicly in schools would be detrimental to many of the students.

Although many students who do well in school might be encouraged to continue with their progress, the idea that posting all student's grades would improve the grades would not work. Those students who are not doing well are not always the ones who aren't trying, and a child who consistently had poor grades posted - despite their best efforts - would eventually give up, not improve. The idea would really help only the students in the upper grade categories who WEREN'T already trying their best. For the rest, it would result in shame, ridicule, and frustration - hardly the type of environment we are trying to create in our schools. Students who do well are already publicly acknowledged in many places through Honor Roll listings in the local newspapers. This should be enough.

Posted by: WorldMead
  • No, a student does not need to be publicly humiliated to improve their performance.

Publicizing a persons grades may improve their performance but it would come at a significant cost. Children may be humiliated and become the subject of ridicule from their peers. This is unnecessary. If this is the tool used to motivate the student, the school and the parents have failed. Performance is a private matter for the student and their family.

Posted by: R43Shep
  • I do not think that posting students' grades publicly in schools would motivate them to perform better because all students are different and each one would react differently to it.

Each student thinks differently. So while one student may get motivated to perform better if he gets low grades, another may feel humiliated and embarrassed. She may even commit suicide because of this. Also, all young people are very concerned about fitting in with the group and being accepted. Having their grades made public may fill them with low self esteem and reduce their confidence levels. It may even make them uncomfortable around their peer group. I think posting students' grades publicly in schools would do more harm than good.

Posted by: danoneeno
  • I believe that posting grades in schools is an invasion of privacy.

Although it might motivate some students to try to achieve higher grades, I cannot support posting grades in school. I feel that it is an invasion of privacy and is a matter better handled between teachers and parents. Being so publicly embarrassed might drive some children away from school. There are better ways than public humiliation to get a poor student?s attention.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • This is not a good idea for the poor performing students who already are doing their best; they don't need further humiliation.

There would be a number of students who would get their act together and study harder if grades were posted. No one wants their whole world to know they are screw- ups. But for some kids who have learning disabilities such as ADD and dyslexia, they don't need more humiliation. Kids are already sensitive and still developing self-esteem, so this would not be fair for many students.

Posted by: NettN355
  • Although posting grades may motivate some, it may cause lower self-esteem for others.

We are all unique. We all have strengths and weaknesses. A student's grades, scores, or progress may or may not be equal and/or comparable to others. Ability and environment effect the rate at which students achieve. Some very bright students may be involved in more extracurricular activities which may effect their achievement rate. Some students may not have the mental ability to achieve as fast as others, or they may have a learning disability. Some students may have parents who exclusively enhance their drive to achieve academically, while others may have parents who believe their children should be well-rounded and choose to offer and expose their children to a variety of activities. Unfortunately, some students may have parents that do not care what they do, which most likely will negatively effect their progress and development. Progress should be discussed on an individual level and should always be initiated with a positive outlook. Each student needs to understand and see that caretakers (teachers, parents, mentors, etc.) truly care about them as individuals, and want to help them achieve to their greatest potential. Teachers must not compare students, but rather understand and celebrate differences, while supporting and providing for a variety of pursuits to enhance development.

• This would be ridiculous

Some students are very cruel, if grades were posted everyone would look for the lowest grade and proceed to mock that child.

• No, posting students' grades publicly in schools would substantially increase performance anxiety, which for many causes poor performance.

Particularly in minority students, performance can be greatly affected by what they perceive their stereotyped performance expectations are. I read somewhere that on high-stress tests minority students typically perform much worse than white students, whereas on non-high stress tests, they perform equally with white students. Any test where grades will be later posted will create a higher-stress environment than a test where grades are not publicly posted; therefore posting the grades publicly will case minority students to perform worse (and probably white students as well - I know I wouldn't do very well if I was busy worrying about everyone seeing I got a bad grade).

Posted by: A Paul
  • NO NO NO

My school in Malaysia was exactly the same.. it not motivated me at all, infact it emberassed me so much, I didnt want to go school. Leading to even worse grades. You dont want your kids to feel victimised. Only bad parenting support stupid motivational methods like this.. GTH