Would you vote for an Atheist president, If you agreed with all of there policies and views? (Normal atheist, Not extremist anti-religion atheist)

• I'd prefer it actually.

I'm tired of religious dogma getting in the way of good secular government decision making. Your fiction book shouldn't govern a secular society. Keep it in your church among your community.

Secular governments tend to be corrupt and terribly ran. Look at history and look around the world. If you can not justify your policy through compelling arguments, It's probably because your policy sucks and your arguments are arbitrary.

Keep church and state separate.

• I definitely would.

I don't see why I would care about a political candidates religious views. I only care about polict and if their policies align with mine then of course id vote for them. I don't really see any reason why religion should play a role in policy. Also I don't really care too much about religion. We shouldn't put so much trust in something that can't be proven.

• Government should be atheist.

No, I am not saying that only atheists should be elected government officials or president, Just that there religious beliefs should not be reflected in political decisions or especially law in which the First Amendment implies. Some may thing that this would make an atheist ideal for the job as they have to religion to side with but they may be against all religions which is just as bad.
    Tho some people push for diversity but basing votes on identity would not be helpful. For instance, Many democrats running in 2020 were asked if they would seek a woman to be the Vice President and many said they would. Would this make things better? No. I don't say that from a sexist point of view but just the opposite. I want the best person in the job regardless of identity. Even tho I am atheist, A candidates personal beliefs would not be factor to qualify or disqualify them. If their platform was bias on the side of their religion or religion in general, I would not vote for them even if they were atheist as their policy would likely violate the first amendment.

• Religion Shouldn't Matter

It shouldn't matter what our president's religious affiliations are. All that should matter to people is whether or not their policies align with what they believe in. I know that the United States is a very Christian country and people get scared by any other religion that is not under that umbrella, But as long as their policies match with what I believe then it doesn't matter what their religious affiliations are.

• America is not a Christian Nation.

I personally never understood why this was such a big debate. America is not a Christian nation. It may have been at one point and people may want you to still believe it is, But as it stands right now it is not. We don't need specifically "Christian values" we need general strong morals.

Posted by: tpoe
  • Why not vote for them?

Simply because a candidate has different views on religion than me does not mean they are not qualified to be president. I would especially vote for the person if I agreed with all their policies and views. I myself do not see a big reason not to vote for them.

• I don't see why not.

Many Christian people voted for an atheist president before like Donald Trump. I don't think it really matters, If you're Christian but the person you agree with is atheist and doesn't bring up religion that much, Then I don't see the issue for voting for them. The only thing that should matter is that if you agree with their views or not and if you respect their beliefs.

• Yes, I would vote for an atheist.

If he has good morals and is good for the nation, Why not?

I am kinda hesitant tbh, But I use to be an atheist myself, And i'm sure my atheist self would be good as president. I would only vote for a conservative atheist with good morals though.

He would have to respect Judeo Christian ethics a great deal, And promise to keep our religious values in the country while he can implent his secularization. I"m sure we could find a compromise. I have nothing against atheists, I love them a whole lot. I use to be one, So I don't judge them.

• I Just Wouldn't

Peer pressure is part of how we keep Christian values alive in the first place, And I wouldn't trust a presidential candidate who was a self-avowed atheist anyway.

There isn't even such a thing as separation of Church and state: it's just the state's declaration of agnosticism at the barrel of a gun. That's why if I'm forced to choose between men and God, I'll take God.

• Misunderstanding of values

Not every president has personally believed in God but has good issues and policies that they addressed. But those who did believe in God generally showed a better degree of prosperity in the nation that they rule, History shows this. There is conflict either way, Wether for or against God. I believe the united states should uphold christian values even if the founding fathers where deists and not christians themselves.