Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. In other words banning Islam would be Illegal, but it is also illegal to implement religious laws, ie Sharia Law, Mosaic law or canon law.
Sharia law and Islam are to different things. You can be a muslim but not follow sharia law just as you can be jew but not follow jewish laws set by the Torah. Saying they are the same thing is just a way to portray Muslims as horrible people. Also banning Islam is against the first Amendment And islam is not an ethnicity anyways it is a religion. Really the question and answers given don't make sense anyways. Your'e making it seem like you can't have one without the other when millions of muslims don't follow every part of sharia law but are still muslims.
We can allow Islamic people to practice their religion, but Sharia Law must never be integrated into our society.
These are the reasons why, which I will link to the document I found this data on.(http://www.Billionbibles.Org/sharia/sharia-law.Html)
• Theft is punishable by amputation of the right hand (above).
• Criticizing or denying any part of the Quran is punishable by death.
• Criticizing or denying Muhammad is a prophet is punishable by death.
• Criticizing or denying Allah, the moon god of Islam is punishable by death.
• A Muslim who becomes a non-Muslim is punishable by death.
• A non-Muslim who leads a Muslim away from Islam is punishable by death.
• A non-Muslim man who marries a Muslim woman is punishable by death.
• A man can marry an infant girl and consummate the marriage when she is 9 years old.
• Girls' clitoris should be cut (per Muhammad's words in Book 41, Kitab Al-Adab, Hadith 5251).
• A woman can have 1 husband, but a man can have up to 4 wives; Muhammad can have more.
• A man can unilaterally divorce his wife but a woman needs her husband's consent to divorce.
• A man can beat his wife for insubordination.
• Testimonies of four male witnesses are required to prove rape against a woman.
• A woman who has been raped cannot testify in court against her rapist(s).
• A woman's testimony in court, allowed only in property cases, carries half the weight of a man's.
• A female heir inherits half of what a male heir inherits.
• A woman cannot drive a car, as it leads to fitnah (upheaval).
• A woman cannot speak alone to a man who is not her husband or relative.
• Meat to be eaten must come from animals that have been sacrificed to Allah - i.E., be Halal.
• Muslims should engage in Taqiyya and lie to non-Muslims to advance Islam.
You can see how biased Sharia Law is, and how it goes against the United State's belief of liberty and justice for all. This gets rid of feminism, a system that must stay.
I voted No to Sharia Law because it takes away basic human rights. Even allowing it as a voluntary option would be a bad idea because (as ISIS has demonstrated) people who want power would coerce others into "volunteering" to accept Sharia Law. I would have the same objections if some Christian group wanted to implement Old Testament Law (e.G. Stoning). I have NO objection to people practicing Islam as long as they do not harm others.